Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rememberance quotes

I hope it’s not in terms of “that **** owed me £10...” :)
He was held in high regard, a dedicated hard working officer who was as mad as a box of frogs, taken too soon and will never be forgotten. He has his own memorial stone overlooking the motorway where he died.

I always liked the one that went something like "They gave their today for your tomorrow", to which you can add my contribution underneath "so the least you can do is wash your hands and wear a mask..."

By my troth, I care not. A man can die but once. We owe God a death. I’ll ne'er bear a base mind. An ’t be my destiny, so; an ’t be not, so. No man’s too good to serve ’s prince, and let it go which way it will, he that dies this year is quit for the next.
Some bloke called Sgt Shakespeare.

I think it's a Roman quote from the senate. May even have been Cicero; he seems to have said everything else.
I've not seen anything that places it so far back. The oldest intimation I can find is Kipling

By my troth, I care not. A man can die but once. We owe God a death. I’ll ne'er bear a base mind. An ’t be my destiny, so; an ’t be not, so. No man’s too good to serve ’s prince, and let it go which way it will, he that dies this year is quit for the next.
Some bloke called Sgt Shakespeare.
The ‘Band Of Brothers’ speech from Henry V still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stick up. I agree with some historians that think there is evidence that Shakespeare did a bit of soldiering in his time.

Does the same apply to the British War Graves in Basra? Gen question.

Not quite Basra but:

From my eleven years in Afghanistan, I know that the British Cemetery in Kabul from the late 1800s to early 1900s is still well looked after, there was a little old fella and his son who used to go around, cut the grass, give the gravestones a bit of a wipe down once in a while, and generally keeping the place pristine - despite it not being a CWGC site. He even looked after it when the Taliban were in power.

The ‘Band Of Brothers’ speech from Henry V still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stick up. I agree with some historians that think there is evidence that Shakespeare did a bit of soldiering in his time.

... and of the film versions ... I much prefer Olivier's delivery ...

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
My mother in law had a 19 year old brother, he was a wireless operator in Bomber Command. His whole crew were shot down and killed over Holland in a Lancaster during 1944. Among his effects a letter from his squadron had the following poem, I saw it first during the early 1960s
A very short poem but very effective; a remembrance quote in itself.
The Rear Gunner
My brief sweet life is over
My eyes no longer see
No Christmas trees, No summer walks
No pretty girls for me
I've got the chop, I've had it
My nightly Op's are done
Yet in another 100 years
I'll still be twenty one.
R.W. Gilbert.

My mother in law had a 19 year old brother, he was a wireless operator in Bomber Command. His whole crew were shot down and killed over Holland in a Lancaster during 1944. Among his effects a letter from his squadron had the following poem, I saw it first during the early 1960s
A very short poem but very effective; a remembrance quote in itself.
The Rear Gunner
My brief sweet life is over
My eyes no longer see
No Christmas trees, No summer walks
No pretty girls for me
I've got the chop, I've had it
My nightly Op's are done
Yet in another 100 years
I'll still be twenty one.
R.W. Gilbert.

Floating down, through the clouds
Memories come rushing up to meet me now
But in the space between the heavens
And the corner of some foreign field
I had a dream
I had a dream
Goodbye Max, goodbye Ma
After the service, when you're walking slowly to the car
And the silver in her hair shines in the cold November air
You hear the tolling bell and touch the silk in your lapel
And as the teardrops rise to meet the comfort of the band
You take her frail hand
And hold on to the dream
A place to stay, enough to eat
Somewhere, old heroes shuffle safely down the street
Where you can speak out loud about your doubts and fears
And what's more, no one ever disappears
You never hear their standard issue kicking in your door
You can relax on both sides of the tracks
And maniacs don't blow holes in bandsmen by remote control
And everyone has recourse to the law
And no one kills the children anymore
No one kills the children anymore
Night after night, going 'round and 'round my brain
His dream is driving me insane
In the corner of some foreign field
The gunner sleeps tonight
What's done is done
We cannot just write off his final scene
Take heed of the dream
Take heed

I used to teach communication skills to NCOs and young officers. I played them a shorts clip from the film Up ‘un Under about a pub rugby league team (not the world’s best film but you do get to see Samantha Janus’s ARRSE and tits) in which a bald 45 year old gives a bit of a spiel to rouse the boys. I them played the Brannagh version of what I consider to be the finest two minutes in the English Language to show that the same speech can be different depending on how you play it

Floating down, through the clouds
Memories come rushing up to meet me now
But in the space between the heavens
And the corner of some foreign field
I had a dream
I had a dream
Goodbye Max, goodbye Ma
After the service, when you're walking slowly to the car
And the silver in her hair shines in the cold November air
You hear the tolling bell and touch the silk in your lapel
And as the teardrops rise to meet the comfort of the band
You take her frail hand
And hold on to the dream
A place to stay, enough to eat
Somewhere, old heroes shuffle safely down the street
Where you can speak out loud about your doubts and fears
And what's more, no one ever disappears
You never hear their standard issue kicking in your door
You can relax on both sides of the tracks
And maniacs don't blow holes in bandsmen by remote control
And everyone has recourse to the law
And no one kills the children anymore
No one kills the children anymore
Night after night, going 'round and 'round my brain
His dream is driving me insane
In the corner of some foreign field
The gunner sleeps tonight
What's done is done
We cannot just write off his final scene
Take heed of the dream
Take heed
As much as I thought Roger Waters was a pretentious little prick, he wrote some great words

Dalef65

Old-Salt
Kenneth Branagh does the definitive version of that speech in the film Henry V.
Check out also a heart warming rendition of it by a rookie squaddy in the Renaissance Man.

Latest Threads