Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rememberance quotes

"Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... you are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours... You the mothers who sent their sons from far away countries wipe away your tears. Your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."

Kemal Atatürk Memorial, Canberra​

Except this 'quote' appeared about 30 years after Ataturk's death...

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die

Cruthin1967

Old-Salt
Morning All,
Posted this on another thread, from the board outside local cafe.
View attachment 516052

Need some help for relevant short quotes to put on it everyday from 1st-10th.
I was thinking of the Kohima quote for the 10th and 'In Flanders Fields', on the 11th.
Any suggestions anyone?

Mods, please move if it's in the wrong place.
"If any question why we died
Tell them, because our fathers lied."
Rudyard Kipling

The Devonshire Regiment held this trench.
The Devons hold it still.

Memorial stone at Devonshire Cemetery, Mansel Copse, Mametz/Somme. The 8th and 9th Devons buried their dead in their 1 July jumping-off trench.

"Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... you are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours... You the mothers who sent their sons from far away countries wipe away your tears. Your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."

Kemal Atatürk Memorial, Canberra​

That is one of the most moving humanitarian tributes I have ever read.

Shame the new bloke just wants to be another Hitler.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Except this 'quote' appeared about 30 years after Ataturk's death...

I don't have the source but didn't Ataturk say something very similar just after WW1 When the allies were sorting out Military Graveyards Worldwide?

Remember them too!

The series The World At War finished with an episode looking at the human cost, simply entitled Remember. The narrator, Sir Laurence Olivier, said Remember Them Too when talking not only of the war dead, but also the bereaved, the injured, the psychologically injured, those with long term disabilities or health issues...

I believe the final episode also contains this .... superbly narrated by Olivier ...

Last edited:
rupertbrooke-5-728.jpg

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I don't have the source but didn't Ataturk say something very similar just after WW1 When the allies were sorting out Military Graveyards Worldwide?
The quote is attributed to him, but new research seems to think it wasn't him. But as I said further up, it still remains one of the best epitaphs for soldiers I've ever heard

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
That aside, it's one of the finest written.
Won't be long if Erdogan has his way that the Johnnies are exhumed and chucked in the Dardanelles.

ericferret

War Hero
"To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late, And how can a man die better, Than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his gods."

Last edited:

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
"For when death comes the brave are free, so in thy dreams - remember me."

Unknown Afghan poet

Sad but true
Bollockz. Treaty of Lasannne has specific protections for the Allied war cemeteries; each year Erdoğan attends the Commonwealth and Anzac memorials in person. They are also protected within the National Historical Parkon the Gallipoli peninsula; the same protections afforded to the Turkish memorials and cemeteries.