Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Rememberance quotes

Morning All,
Posted this on another thread, from the board outside local cafe.
Screenshot_20201029-165309_Photos.jpg

Need some help for relevant short quotes to put on it everyday from 1st-10th.
I was thinking of the Kohima quote for the 10th and 'In Flanders Fields', on the 11th.
Any suggestions anyone?

Mods, please move if it's in the wrong place.

My personal favourite, which is my own, upon seeing my friends on Remembrance Sunday “I’m just glad I made it through another year without dying in my sleep”

Morning All,
Posted this on another thread, from the board outside local cafe.
View attachment 516052

Need some help for relevant short quotes to put on it everyday from 1st-10th.
I was thinking of the Kohima quote for the 10th and 'In Flanders Fields', on the 11th.
Any suggestions anyone?

Mods, please move if it's in the wrong place.

And maybe alter the title to read Remembrance?

"Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... you are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours... You the mothers who sent their sons from far away countries wipe away your tears. Your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."

Kemal Atatürk Memorial, Canberra​

Remember them too!

The series The World At War finished with an episode looking at the human cost, simply entitled Remember. The narrator, Sir Laurence Olivier, said Remember Them Too when talking not only of the war dead, but also the bereaved, the injured, the psychologically injured, those with long term disabilities or health issues...

Housman is my favourite:

Here dead we lie because we did not choose
To live and shame the land from which we sprung.
Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose;
But young men think it is, and we were young.

"Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... you are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours... You the mothers who sent their sons from far away countries wipe away your tears. Your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."

Kemal Atatürk Memorial, Canberra​

Errm - don't think the chalkboard is that big . . .

I’ve always been moved knowing there is a short stretch of land where the inscription reads The Devonshires held this trench. They hold it still.