Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PLANK, Nov 8, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As we all know 11 NOV is rememberance day but what I am trying to find out Do the Germans have any form of rememberance re WW1 or WW2, and if so where and when??? :? :? .
  2. Plank, my webferret search chucked up loads of hits, but nothing solid.
    I suspect that Herman's guilt trip forbids any huge public outpouring of grief and respect cos they were fighting under the Nazi flag.
    I'm sure however, throughout thousands of German towns and villages there are widows and children who respect their Fathers memory;they probably have their own quiet way to commerorate some of the bravest men this world has seen.
    I'm interested in anything like this cos I had a Grandad on both sides during WW1.
    I also reluctantly admit that my own dead poor Dad was in the Wehrmacht
    for a year or two.
    I await your creeping barrage with trepidation!
  3. I can say that the German Army honour their dead and mourn them as deeply as we ours. Can't tell you when though. However, I do know of at least one very prominent German War memorial outside a UK base in Germany, you will find a wreath of poppies laid by the local British Legion after our Service. Nice touch.
  4. I remember well German Remembrance parades at the war memorial outside Sennelager training centre. Bands, poppy wreaths and a period of silence. Much the same as ours really.
  5. ARGUS
    Dont be worried about you DAD being in the Wermacht during WW2.
    As I seem to remember most people were fighting for their Country and wheras most allied soldiers had a small bible given to them and were told by the GOD SQUAD that they were right, if I recall every German soldiers belt buckle had GOTT MIT UNS on it and their God squad told them that THEY were in the right ( I SOUND LIKE A BIBLE PUNCHER BUT THAT IS :?FAR FROM THE TRUTH) SO who WAS RIGHT??? :? :? :?
  6. That was in the Kaisers war. The Toms thought it very Germanic (Arrogant) that their kit said 'God is with us' whilst our padres said that we were with God. A narrow differance but far less presumptious.
  7. Love the poppies on the site. Very well done!
  8. The Germans have their Remembrance Day on 14 Nov. They hold their services on the Sunday following ours. Most British military establishments allow access for who fought in regular (i.e not SS) units; often this is done through the local British Legion branches some of whom have been insrumental in restoring memorials that have been allowed to decay.