Remember The Wombat?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Outstanding, Jun 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The thread on Charlie Gee emnded me of my 2 years working with WOMBAT before it was put out to grass by MILAN.
    It was a great weapon and one that to my knowledge was never fired in Batlle.
    I can imagine it being a great point defence system in Helmand today offering a big bang at both ends!!

Anyone else serve with the Biggest Bang in the world?

2. I saw a live firing demo of a LR mounted Wombat when I was at Juniors. It was the loudest thing I have ever heard, even to this day. :wink:

Bloody impressive it was too.

3. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I remember them well, noisy buggers but very effective. As an infantryman, mostly wet, tired and knackered, I envied tankies. Right up to the point I fired a Wombat at one. Then decided I was quite well off. I loved the spotting rifle on it too.

4. That brings back memories.

I was REME att 1 D and D (Osnabruch) and we were live firing at Putloss (spelling?) with those little tinkers., one of the meanest weapons I’ve ever fired.

Towards the end of the exercise there was a competition, we put in a REME team and actually won – happy days.

Any one remember the man tanks they had up there? That was a job to be avoided if ever there was one.

5. I remember running with a WOMBAT shell around the square a few times!

6. Great weapon, but the best thing was sitting on the back of the landie wearing a Parka.

As for never been fired in Battle, what about down south, was it not used?
    well maybe not against tanks but?

7. No mate, the Womabts all went down - on Atlantic Conveyor and rest at the bottom of the sea!

many said that although it would have been a pig to carry that had we had it as a direct fire weapon there many battles would have been a lot shorter!!

we once fired 20 rounds of PRAC from one mounted on a rover, which was not authorised. We realised why when the rovers lights all fell out and would not work .

Happydays

8. There was vicious, unfounded rumour that the Argyll and Boltons may have put a SH Prac through a particular type of dual use building in Aden (Prayer/OP :twisted: ) but I don't know if that is a true story. If its not ......

9. That may have happened, but I don't know. I would also not really qualify that as a Battle (although to some I am sure it was). Alos the weapon would at best have been MOBAT, as WOMBAT came into service after the Aden campaign.

10. Was the wombat ever belt fed? I only ask because somebody alleged on a NAAFI BAR thread that Carol Vorderman "goes like a belt fed wombat".

Er, just curious.

11. Errr no, we had them up the Radfan.
    Remember the 3 Irish Guards who were killed? Between 66 - 67.
    Perhaps you mean earlier than that time :D
    Also there were a few battles, but if the wombat was used in those battles I don't recall.

I also heard that a practice round 84 was fired in a TA drill hall (UK).
    Can't remember what unit.

12. Haven't heard that expression in years! :lol:

13. old_fat_and_hairy

I do know that one - whether Mobat or Wombat - was used during the EOKA campaign in Cyprus. Took a door down very nicely. Along with the frame, wall and most of the roof.

14. As a Cold War MFC, it was nice to know that there was somebody with a shorter life expectancy than me. WOMBATs and CONBATs tended to be right out front, on the wrong side of the bridge, so there was a major incentive for the crews to be fast and accurate!

Another downer for the WOMBAT crews was that there was no respite from bad weather. No opportunity to huddle in the Rover with the heater going full blast.

It certainly took a particular frame of mind to be a WOMBAT crewman.

I think the current politically correct term is "mentally challenged." :wink:
    Or, at least, "unimaginative."

15. old_fat_and_hairy

Couldn't agree more, which is why I never went into Support Coy, or -Donkey Coy - as it was known. Much better being either sigs pln or rifle coy.