• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Remember The Wombat?

The thread on Charlie Gee emnded me of my 2 years working with WOMBAT before it was put out to grass by MILAN.
It was a great weapon and one that to my knowledge was never fired in Batlle.
I can imagine it being a great point defence system in Helmand today offering a big bang at both ends!!

Anyone else serve with the Biggest Bang in the world?

I saw a live firing demo of a LR mounted Wombat when I was at Juniors. It was the loudest thing I have ever heard, even to this day. :wink:

Bloody impressive it was too.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I remember them well, noisy buggers but very effective. As an infantryman, mostly wet, tired and knackered, I envied tankies. Right up to the point I fired a Wombat at one. Then decided I was quite well off. I loved the spotting rifle on it too.

That brings back memories.

I was REME att 1 D and D (Osnabruch) and we were live firing at Putloss (spelling?) with those little tinkers., one of the meanest weapons I’ve ever fired.

Towards the end of the exercise there was a competition, we put in a REME team and actually won – happy days.

Any one remember the man tanks they had up there? That was a job to be avoided if ever there was one.

Outstanding said:
The thread on Charlie Gee emnded me of my 2 years working with WOMBAT before it was put out to grass by MILAN.
I can imagine it being a great point defence system in Helmand today offering a big bang at both ends!!

Great weapon, but the best thing was sitting on the back of the landie wearing a Parka.

As for never been fired in Battle, what about down south, was it not used?
well maybe not against tanks but?

No mate, the Womabts all went down - on Atlantic Conveyor and rest at the bottom of the sea!

many said that although it would have been a pig to carry that had we had it as a direct fire weapon there many battles would have been a lot shorter!!

we once fired 20 rounds of PRAC from one mounted on a rover, which was not authorised. We realised why when the rovers lights all fell out and would not work .

Happydays

True2Blue said:
Outstanding said:

Great weapon, but the best thing was sitting on the back of the landie wearing a Parka.

As for never been fired in Battle, what about down south, was it not used?
well maybe not against tanks but?
There was vicious, unfounded rumour that the Argyll and Boltons may have put a SH Prac through a particular type of dual use building in Aden (Prayer/OP :twisted: ) but I don't know if that is a true story. If its not ......

That may have happened, but I don't know. I would also not really qualify that as a Battle (although to some I am sure it was). Alos the weapon would at best have been MOBAT, as WOMBAT came into service after the Aden campaign.

Errr no, we had them up the Radfan.
Remember the 3 Irish Guards who were killed? Between 66 - 67.
Perhaps you mean earlier than that time :D
Also there were a few battles, but if the wombat was used in those battles I don't recall.

I also heard that a practice round 84 was fired in a TA drill hall (UK).
Can't remember what unit.

B

Biscuits_AB

King_of_the_Burpas said:
Was the wombat ever belt fed? I only ask because somebody alleged on a NAAFI BAR thread that Carol Vorderman "goes like a belt fed wombat".

Er, just curious.
Haven't heard that expression in years! :lol:

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I do know that one - whether Mobat or Wombat - was used during the EOKA campaign in Cyprus. Took a door down very nicely. Along with the frame, wall and most of the roof.

old_fat_and_hairy said:
I remember them well, noisy buggers but very effective. As an infantryman, mostly wet, tired and knackered, I envied tankies. Right up to the point I fired a Wombat at one. Then decided I was quite well off. I loved the spotting rifle on it too.
As a Cold War MFC, it was nice to know that there was somebody with a shorter life expectancy than me. WOMBATs and CONBATs tended to be right out front, on the wrong side of the bridge, so there was a major incentive for the crews to be fast and accurate!

Another downer for the WOMBAT crews was that there was no respite from bad weather. No opportunity to huddle in the Rover with the heater going full blast.

It certainly took a particular frame of mind to be a WOMBAT crewman.

I think the current politically correct term is "mentally challenged." :wink:
Or, at least, "unimaginative."

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
putteesinmyhands said:
old_fat_and_hairy said:
As a Cold War MFC, it was nice to know that there was somebody with a shorter life expectancy than me. WOMBATs and CONBATs tended to be right out front, on the wrong side of the bridge, so there was a major incentive for the crews to be fast and accurate!

Another downer for the WOMBAT crews was that there was no respite from bad weather. No opportunity to huddle in the Rover with the heater going full blast.

It certainly took a particular frame of mind to be a WOMBAT crewman.

I think the current politically correct term is "mentally challenged." :wink:
Or, at least, "unimaginative."
Couldn't agree more, which is why I never went into Support Coy, or -Donkey Coy - as it was known. Much better being either sigs pln or rifle coy.

True2Blue said:
So if we were known as Antiwanks, what were the rest known as? :lol:
Life expectancy for us during the cold war, if the war ever happened was 12 hrs.
That's optimistic, isn't it?

From the time that the first T62 appeared in your sights to the time of your demise, I'd guess to be in the region of about 20 seconds.

The first bang would be you firing, with the local vegetation rising 20' in the air to advertise your presence to everybody within 5 miles.

The second bang would be your first kill.

The third bang would be the firing of your second shot, narrowly beating the five bangs from the remaining T62s as they fired at your position.

The ninth bang would be your second kill.

The tenth bang (and 11th, 12th 13th and 14th), you probably wouldn't hear as you'd be too busy spreading yourself across the German landscape.

Wasn't that one of the arguments for the transition from crewed anti-tank weapons to disposable ones?

putteesinmyhands said:
True2Blue said:
So if we were known as Antiwanks, what were the rest known as? :lol:
Life expectancy for us during the cold war, if the war ever happened was 12 hrs.
That's optimistic, isn't it?

From the time that the first T62 appeared in your sights to the time of your demise, I'd guess to be in the region of about 20 seconds.

The first bang would be you firing, with the local vegetation rising 20' in the air to advertise your presence to everybody within 5 miles.

The second bang would be your first kill.

The third bang would be the firing of your second shot, narrowly beating the five bangs from the remaining T62s as they fired at your position.

The ninth bang would be your second kill.

The tenth bang (and 11th, 12th 13th and 14th), you probably wouldn't hear as you'd be too busy spreading yourself across the German landscape.

Wasn't that one of the arguments for the transition from crewed anti-tank weapons to disposable ones?
You are correct of course.
But 12 hrs was from deployment into the field. Normally behind enemy lines.
(As that was our job) and the gun would not have been used as in a defensive position.

We would not have fired more than one round, hit or miss we moved to a secondary position, and so on.
We were quite aware of tactics of Tanks, and knowing what we did, we were under no delusion that the first shot would give the rest an heads up.
But this was all theory, what could or what would have happened is only speculation.

I must remember to learn the new updated tank recognition card :)

Biscuits_AB said:
King_of_the_Burpas said:
Was the wombat ever belt fed? I only ask because somebody alleged on a NAAFI BAR thread that Carol Vorderman "goes like a belt fed wombat".

Er, just curious.
Haven't heard that expression in years! :lol:
hehe, first thing that I thought of when I saw the title of the thread! :D

Spent an enjoyable weekend in the early 1970s live firing at Warcop with our 'Bat' platoon who came from Norfolk, Suffolk and all points easT ( Royal Anglians). The whole weekend it rained, it poured, it just piXXed down -- however the sight of the backblast lifting hundreds of gallons of water onto the spectators at the rear and the 'sing song' accents e.g. have yer gotta another round boy' still repeats in my memory. Mis fires were a major bugger to handle and the spotting weapon (LMG - ex Bren) put down excellent tracer--great days.

Latest Threads