Remember the bravery and sacrifice of our Canadian allies

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Dec 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Remember the bravery and sacrifice of our Canadian allies in Afghanistan too

Posted By: James Kirkup at Dec 14, 2008 at 09:30:57 [General]

The UK is mourning another four sons today, and rightly so: the four Royal Marine Commandos killed in Afghanistan deserve every bit of the respect and veneration they get.

Their deaths mean our death toll in Afghanistan is now 132. We have 8,200 troops in the country.

But we in Britain should remember this: since 2001, a total of 101 Canadians have died in Afghanistan. There are 2,500 Canadians there.

A similar fatality rate would put the UK death toll somewhere north of 500. God forbid.

The numbers speak for the bravery and sacrifice of our Canadian allies, something we sometimes overlook. If you're moved by the latest British deaths today, spare a thought at the same time for the Canadians too.

2. I'm sure they are being remembered by us.Surely the Canadians have sites where they can make their thoughts known?

3. Being old, and remembering 'les Vingts Deux' - and the delights of Soest, - the 6th Canadian Brigade, and reading about recent sacrifices.

Then I honour, respect and pray to my God, for the gallant Canadians who have, yet again, crossed the world to confront evil, inequality and politically generated disgrace.

4. I sat the Falklands war out in Canada, Good people.
    Just to express my sympathy with our old allies.
    john

5. 'The numbers speak for the bravery and sacrifice of our Canadian allies, something we sometimes overlook. If you're moved by the latest British deaths today, spare a thought at the same time for the Canadians too'.

Having Canadian blood, it's poignant to note the writing of this thread... a member of my family studied the massive contribution made by Canadians in the First World War for their dissertation- as a mature student, did her homework......travelled there and spoke to key Canadian historians and ordinary people....many of whom do feel as if Canada and her sacrifices are often forgotten (or constantly overshadowed by their US Big Brother further south), so to post this thread is thoughtful and very apt.
    There are many nationalities who have given up their young to fight over the years in the name of freedom and democracy that do not get enough positive media attention.

For these four lads- RIP and thoughts go to their families, especially this time of year.

6. Good that someone else is helping to carry the load.

Odo

7. I certainly remember our Canadian allies all the time. Let's also not forget the Dutch, Danes and Czechs who not only fought alongside us in Southern Iraq but continue to do so in Southern Afghanistan. Also the Estonians.

You might remember them the next time you read how the Brits, Canadians and Americans are having to 'go it alone' in the South.

8. Certinly won't forget the Canadian contribution to our efforts. Under-appreciated by history and in various media, but not under-appreciated by us Brits.

9. The Canadians have been very reliable allies to us Brits in many conflicts over the past century.Notably in the Second World War in the early years before the Americans declared war.

A fact that is overlooked by many.

Well done,lads,your efforts are truly appreciated.

10. what about the first war? canucks were outstanding

11. vvaannmmaann asked about a Canadian site.

Army.ca is it.

And as for Czechs, Danes, and everyone else (the list is too long, I'll get tunnel carpal syndrome typing it out! You know who you are!), it's not about forgetting or overlooking anyone. It's about remembering ALL the sacrifices to try and make this world a little better, or at least keeping some ******** from making it worse.

12. Absoloutly,as I said over the last century,which covers the first world war.