Remember Safwan ?

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Goatman, Jan 19, 2006.

1. nope - nary a drop

0 vote(s)
  2. You kidding? good job I can swim!

3. Coupla times - no biggie

4. I wish !

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

pic from defencenet story at

An aerial shot of the flooded area in Safwan [Picture: Corporal Will Craig, Combat Camera Team, Basra Press Information Centre]

I cannot imagine that place in torrential rain....bizarre :D

Lee Shaver

...and yes, some names may have been changed to protect the innocent....
  2. Yes it did rain on both trips to Iraq, too bloody much :)

I wouldn't have bothered changing the names, the press used their real names...
  3. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

No need to compound their error !

I remember seeing a single spot of rain....but since there was no electricity available at the time I couldn't be sure it was raining....hope your next tour coincides with the dry season....ah, those balmy 32 degrees C midnights with the moon rising over the Shatt :lol: .....

BTW, take a look at this month's Soldier magazine p.9...I'm sure you'll be pleased to learn that
    Hope yours arrives before you arrive back in the Sandbox ;-)
  4. Yeah i remember it well. & im sure once everything is back to normal the IED's will be back out on the road as if nothing changed!
  5. Aye it peed doon on Telic 1
  6. I well remember the night of hell that either removed or flooded most of our tents on Telic 1 - just down the road from Safwan. Wonderful fireworks display in the distance at 10pm and a very soggy start to the day at 0500hrs when I slowly became aware that I might have p***** the bed.....except I was at the lowest point in the tent (there is a lesson there) and the rising water came into contact with my b*m before anybody else suffered! Dawn found two of us engaging in trenching works that would have impressed the builders of the Aswan Dam. It took me three days to dry out - and I lost several bits and pieces that were irreplaceable!

Don't let anyone tell you that it doesn't rain in Iraq!

7. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Pished down like hell during the first bunfight. Who thought deserts were hot and dry :D