REME wristbands

#1
My (latest) parent unit have brought out their upcoming tour wristband, causing us to all shed 2 quid which goes straight into their PRI.

I don't mind the odd 2 quid here and there but if all the REME dets are buying teeth arm wristbands, that's alot of money going into someone else's PRI/ Bene fund.

Why don't the Corps bring one out? It seems to be a good money spinner and the 9000 odd in REME willl be buying a hell of a lot more than a 500 strong Inf/ Cav unit. I've been in SEME and Arborfield PRIs recently and they only have H4H wristbands. They only cost about 20p to manufacture so there's alot of money to be made that could go to the families of the bereaved/ injured.

Is there anyone out there in the corridors of power that could sort this out?
 
#2
My personal opinion is that wristbands are shite. It's the army, not a bloody fashion parade.
 

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
#3
AFAIK the only wristband authorised to be worn in uniform in the H4H one. I echo Nige's view. H4H or none.
 
#4
Ahhh how cute, the soldiers are wearing bracelets. Jeez is it still the Army or has it become the girl guides, fcuking wrist bands. :roll:
 
#7
dogs_bollox said:
For God's sake don't wear a H4H wristband. Look at the ruckas I stirred up.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=112696.html

Poppies will be banned next !!! Don't want to be thought of as a namby pamby charity giving poof nah do we son ? :wink:

I have to say I'm suprised to find that the H4H one is authorised for wear though.

D_B
You can give to charity without shouting it from the rooftops. Whats next pink ribbons!! :roll:
 
#8
Agreed, no-one wants to big time it over this issue but as I am long gone from military circles, I've found that people at work who ask what the wristband is for are suprised to learn that there is a charity for injured servicemen and keen to contribute. If raising awareness of H4H and garnering cold, hard cash are the aims then it's worth it. I appreciate that most people on here are still in or close to the military world and can see that wearing one in that world would be seen as OTT.

I fail to see how a H4H wristband is different to a poppy. Neither shouts "I give to charity" - only shows a solidarity and acknowledgment of the cause and reminds other people to give. If a celebrity started to wear a H4H band and it caught on and lots of money was raised, who'd be complaining then ? And it's a better cause than another unit's fund. Look what celebs wearing the Livestrong band raised even if the doners were doing it for a fashion accessory rather than goodwill.

D_B
 
#9
dogs_bollox said:
Agreed, no-one wants to big time it over this issue but as I am long gone from military circles, I've found that people at work who ask what the wristband is for are suprised to learn that there is a charity for injured servicemen and keen to contribute. If raising awareness of H4H and garnering cold, hard cash are the aims then it's worth it. I appreciate that most people on here are still in or close to the military world and can see that wearing one in that world would be seen as OTT.

I fail to see how a H4H wristband is different to a poppy. Neither shouts "I give to charity" - only shows a solidarity and acknowledgment of the cause and reminds other people to give. If a celebrity started to wear a H4H band and it caught on and lots of money was raised, who'd be complaining then ? And it's a better cause than another unit's fund. Look what celebs wearing the Livestrong band raised even if the doners were doing it for a fashion accessory rather than goodwill.

D_B
I agree with everything you say - but having to promote the military on an Op tour rather misses the point don't you feel?
 
#11
Ord_Sgt said:
Ahhh how cute, the soldiers are wearing bracelets. Jeez is it still the Army or has it become the girl guides, fcuking wrist bands. :roll:
...and they'll be letting gays in next.

What I was getting at was that our guys in need are missing out. If there is money to be made out there by selling naff wristbands then lets do it.

I agree that they are pump- mine holds my allen key tin together, but if I'm going to buy one then I'd rather it be a REME one.
 

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#12
Perhaps some clever bod could come up with watch straps in the same colours as wristbands, then we could all wear them in uniform without upsetting anybody.
 
#14
Just because you buy it doesn't mean you have to wear it and you could always do a Nige and refuse to buy one! :wink:
 
#15
I was at the CO's O Group in Larkhill last year when the subject of 'H4H wristbands' reared it's ugly head. The RSM and the 2 LE Officers (Ex RSMs) were up in arms that we would wear something colourful when in Combats.

They did not want soldiers or officers walking around Larkhill Camp wearing anything colourful when in CS95.

When I asked them why they were all wearing 'Tactical Recognition Flashes' (TRF) on their CS95 they tried to change the subject.

When I explained that during the 'winter months' one could hide the wristband under the sleeve, but not the 'much bigger and much brighter' TRFs they had no answer.

The CO (who was wearing a H4H wristband) then bailed out his 'old & bold' and changed the subject.

IF during the Falklands War, somebody had come out with a wristband for the servicemen in the South Atlantic, then the whole nation would have been wearing one - but that was a popular war.
 
#16
I recall the Top gear program where Mr Blunt and Jeremy were discussing the reason for the wristband.
It was to bring to the attention of the ignorant civvies the state of the Gobments poor rehab facilities for the Military.

Comment by clarkson (not accurate), Well the soldiers cant wear them, they would all look like poofters.

I'm sure the soldiers with lumps under thier jumper would find it rather cute to wear such borbels/bling.

Dont tell me no-one in the REME watched the program? OR its many repeats on dave etc etc.
 
#17
Nige said:
My personal opinion is that wristbands are shite. It's the army, not a bloody fashion parade.
Strange that. In the 70's there was a big thing about wearing wrist and neck beads etc.

Simple answer was = in uniform don't wear them.

In civvies doon toon you can just about wear anything.

And secondly why would a soldier in uniform wear any bling? Especially when there are only other soldiers close enough to see the bling.

The whole idea of H4H wristbands is to get the bloody ignorant civvies to realise the gobments fcuk-up of the rehab for injured servicepeople.

But then I dont have lumps under my jumper ooerr man boobs :oops: :oops: :oops:
 
E

EScotia

Guest
#18
REME wrist bands :oops: , hope they are sanctioned from the same DEME(A) that are now insisting we are not allowed to wear rank slides that have REME sewn on them, even though you can buy them from the Association shop (or used to be able to) 8O
 
#19
Not heard that one; I thought the big man was all for visual recognition of REME soldiers when not wearing cap badge hence insistance on TRFs (read as well defined distant aiming marker).

Dave
 
#20
A unit I know had a wrist band commisioned for a HERRICK tour recently.

One or none people (even though I agree its a bit gay).
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
23GN00 REME 8
1 REME 18
Ventress The Intelligence Cell 0

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top