REME = WINNETS...

Discussion in 'RAC' started by Tankie2ndrtr, Aug 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Tankie2ndrtr

Tankie2ndrtr Old-Salt Reviewer

Why are the REME called Winnets ?... Ive heard many a story but this seems to be exclusive to 2RTR... Anyone else heard of that nickname ?..

2. In my 21 years I only ever heard it when I was at 2RTR.

3. 'Wingnuts' in some weird regional vernacular?

4. Tankie2ndrtr

Nah Defo "Winnets"

5. Because they have a habit of winning everything - happened regularly when I was at 2RTR.

6. Tankie2ndrtr

haha Alright poppet !.

Ive found thats the "winnet" story.

7. Google 'Winnets' you'll be surprised at the answer!!!

8. Tankie2ndrtr

Yeah "nuts of poo" is the version id like to believe..

9. It always makes me laugh when i get called a winnet and here is why. Winnets=lumps of poo that hang from a sheeps` arse. REME always follow behind front line troops therefore we are similar to winnets, however does that mean that the people we follow behind are all arses? You can answer that yourselves and then decide if you still want to call us that because, really, all you are doing is calling yourself an arse.

10. Certainly, as far back as I can remember in 3RTR so that's 1976 - We called Reme chaps - Remlets or mainly 'Winnets' but out of affection!

11. Spot on, it was a term of endearment really - Lumps of poo that follow you around all day, some of them liked it and some didn't................that's life! :D

12. As a serving "Winnit", I can say that it doesn't worry me a bit! It's nice to have a cool (!!!) nick-name; and I have indeed done well out of the Christmas draw in my time! :santa:

13. Love the xmas draw reference. Corporals Mess 17/21st Lancers in early 90s, 36 prizes on xmas tree to choose from. First ticket was a REME full screw walked straight up pulled 1st prize envelope F###in fantastic. God we got slaughtered that night.