REME, which Trade to choose?

S

shootingbates

Hi

I'm joining my local Yeomanry unit as a REME squaddie
should I go for Vehicle Mechanic or Armorer?
Or are there any other suggestions?

My aim is to be able to train quickly and get some tours in

plus has anyone got the 2009 dates for CMSR part C in the Lestershire area e.g Grantham? mY troop can't can't find any past March

Thanks

Well that depends on what you'd like to do???

Do you like weapons? Do you like Landrovers?

smudge67 said:

Those are not relevant questions. These are better-

Do you like sitting on your own in the dark and being a little 'odd'?

Do you like working overtime?

spaz said:
smudge67 said:

Not all armrs are "odd", some a completely wierd! Some, are normal.

The Army is short of Armrs.

smudge67 said:
spaz said:
smudge67 said:

Not all armrs are "odd", some a completely wierd! Some, are normal.

The Army is short of Armrs.
No, just 90% :wink:

G

Goku

Being realistic, unless you have experience as a mechanic in your civvie job then you won’t make a very good mechanic in the TA.
Most TA REME units don’t like taking on vehicle mechanics without prior experience.

TA armourers tend to have jug ears and big gobs :wink:

Be a Recy Mech, it’s far more fun and you get to play with big toys :D

If you want to get a trade under your belt then go VM. The courses are far more frequent and easier to pass.

However...

Current REME recruiting is very focused on whether you're an existing tradesmen. It's trying to cut down on the people who join with no technical background and end up as Class 2 VMs who don't know where the starter motor on a rover is :roll:

It's best for you to go along to the unit and ask them what their policy is.

P.S. Ignore Goku - he's a failed knuckle dragger and knows the square root of fuck all.

G

Goku

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you a gobby jug eared armourer :D

Don't try this at home kids

S

shootingbates

I'm a bit of a gun nerd so armorer appealed to that

I don't have any previous mech experience (ex-RE) but as the army is short of armorers, I figured they help push me through

my Unit has nether and is desperate for them so they're happy what ever

are armorer's really that bad?

mate you can be what ever trade you want they are short of every trade .do what ever you fancy .but some trades are rank ranged . vm is good hard work but very rewarding. become a vm you will never be out of a job every one can drive them not every one can fix em .plus pay is good once on prom ladder

shootingbates said:

I don't have any previous mech experience (ex-RE) but as the army is short of armorers, I figured they help push me through

There's one advantage to being a VM....and that is everyone can spannerwank....so when they're busy they can grab a proper tradesman (like an Armourer) to help them out. On the other hand.....when an Armourer is busy....you wouldn't dream of asking someone non-weapons to help you out!!

S

shootingbates

fair enough

one last question

say I train as vehicle mechanic and after a few year I apply to retrain as an armorer or any other trade, is that able to happen?

Thanks

StabTiffy2B said:
...who don't know where the starter motor on a rover is :roll:
Rovers have a starter motor....well you learn something new everyday...ho hum...

shootingbates said:
fair enough

one last question

say I train as vehicle mechanic and after a few year I apply to retrain as an armorer or any other trade, is that able to happen?

Thanks
Once you reach Class 1 in one trade, you can choose a second. It's called Dual-trading and (as far as I'm aware) is something you can only do in the REME TA.

shootingbates said:

Have you considered Reccy-Mech or electronics tech? Why not a RE TA unit?

1} Reccy-Mech = fun and playing with big toys.
2) Electronics tech=very employable in civilian life.
3) RE=you already have relevant experience and can be fun.

shootingbates said:
Hi

I'm joining my local Yeomanry unit as a REME squaddie
should I go for Vehicle Mechanic or Armorer?
Or are there any other suggestions?

My aim is to be able to train quickly and get some tours in

plus has anyone got the 2009 dates for CMSR part C in the Lestershire area e.g Grantham? mY troop can't can't find any past March

Thanks
why not be a trooper ? got to be better than being an SHQ driver/potwasher which is what youll be.

S

shootingbates

I wanted a change from RE plus none in my area

I don't want to be a Trooper as my unit has no tanks and does way to much CBRN (in my day was call NBC-why bother changing it)

I'll have a look at recovery mechanic.
what is the reality of the job pros /cons etc)?

Cheers

If you go VM and you are the only VM at the sub-unit, you will get very little training, and as you are non vocational it will take ages to progress. Your LAD PSI may be able to arrange for centralised training for you, but it will probably be working with the civ fitters.

If you go Armr and you can get the odd day off work, the NRPS Armr may be able to give you some training in addition to anything organised for weekends etc.

As for rec mech, you are likely to be the only one (not sure of unit establishment) and unless you can go and train with the nearest REME Bn (V) Rec Coy you are looking at several years to get to Class 2.

It's easiest (if you can) to join a REME TA Bn and then transfer to a unit closer to home once you're Class 2.