REME VM vs RS CSO

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by andrewb19, Aug 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I'm in need of some advice. I'm stuck between making a final choice between REME VM and RS Communication Systems Operator. Which trade is most busiest, work wise, and which would offer the most varied, diverse and regular deployments?

Are both good choices for qualifications and work after doing 10 years service?

Andy

2. As a VM you will be running around like a blue arsed fly getting work done, I believe you still get a modern aprenticeship as you go through Bordon.

3. How difficult is it to get on the Tiffy course and do you really come away with a degree?

4. Cow

Cow LE

I think you need to look at how long it will get you to that level and think how much the job may have changed by then. Looking forward is good, however the Signals job description has changed alot in the last 5/10 years, I'm sure we won't be alone and that the REME's description changes to.

Both are good jobs, depends if you want to work on vehicles or comms really!

5. It depends how good you are at your job, how much you lick arrse, how well you do on your Potential Artificer Assesment Board, whether your face fits, etc. You will not be on your Tiffy course until your 10 year point at the earliest unless you are VERY, VERY good/lucky.

And no, you don't get a degree, you get an HNC/HND.

Of course, if you are a Doris, then none of the above applies and you just have to flutter your eyelids :lol:

6. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

VMs work in the cold and dirt, Sigs is warm and cosey. Any fool can be uncomfortable.

7. I can't comment on the Sigs side but as a VM you can go pretty much anywhere all field force units have VM's. It is a very busy trade heavily undermanned and can be very rewarding, it can also be very crappy. LCpl VM's are currently getting an extra retention bonus between the 5 and 8 year point. Artificer Vehicles currently gain a HND although there are many rumours that this is soon to be scrapped in the current format (an 18 month course in Bordon and Arborfield), for a much shorter course concentrating on the management side of things, with the option to gain the quals in your spare time.

In short don't become a VM on the expectation to be a Tiffy it takes a lot of work a bit of luck and the hope that your face fits on the Paab (a one day assessment that decides if you have a career or not).

I have loved being a VM but if your first line don't be surprised to watch your Regt knocking off on a wed and fri afternoons while the VM's are still grafting.

8. Take it that you haven't worked in Packs then!

240 on tap, big blow up tents to work in, heaters and lots of white light :D

9. Only Gayers work in packs.

10. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Well being REME you're off with a headstart on the gayer front anyway ;)

But seriously I had a lot of time for the VMs I worked with, they work bloody hard and don't get nearly enough praise for it.

Although I'm biased being ex Sigs, it's a much more comfortable life with opportunities to try your hand at almost everything, from EOD to Para and even 'them'.

Oh and you can get a decent job when you leave where as a VM is nothing more than a garage mechanic ;)

11. From a bloke who ponced around with a cute little ballerina on his head and nice little bulled toecaps :wink: .

12. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Pah, Murcury, messenger of the gods my boy, no finer cap badge exits. Better than my little pony that your lot sported on their landing pads. And I was never much good at bulling boots. :wink:

13. At least our pony can carry something once in a while. :p