REME | VM, Recce Mech or Aircraft Technician

Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong thread.

So I'm in my last year of GCSEs and I am looking ahead to after sixth form. I've decided the army (more specifically REME) would probably be most suited to myself.
I've narrowed the trades down to three of interest:

-Recovery Mechanic
-Vehicle Mechanic
-Aircraft Technician

I was wondering which trade would be best for me; I'm looking for:

-deployment opportunities
-trade life
-responsibility
-potential qualifications (though definitely not a deciding factor)

Some basic info about me, bit of academic - "expected" grades of 8 - 6 (A* - B) - not the most confident but not shy and I have a big interest mechanics and engineering.

Cheers. ButtieChap.

Btw should I be expecting a war of trades on here?

Can you drink and fight?

Good Question. I can drink, bit of a novice to the whole fighting scene though.
Recovery Mechanic is a no no then... Out of interest do you know what a Recovery Mechanic does?

If you meet the educational criteria I'd suggest your choices should be in the following order:

1. Aircraft
2. Vehicles
3. Recovery

Not unsurprisingly the above choices are in order of educational requirements, that's not to say Recy Mech isn't a valued choice, it most certainly is in my experience, but it doesn't require huge amounts of GCES's and instead relies quite a lot on good humour, teamwork, strength, durability, a thick skin, drinking skills (not always in that order).

Last edited:
If you meet the educational criteria I'd suggest your choices should be in the following order:

1. Aircraft
2. Vehicles
3. Recovery

Not unsurprisingly the above choices are in order of educational requirements, that's not to say Recy Mech isn't a valued choice, it most certainly is in my experience, but it doesn't require huge amounts of GCES's and instead relies quite a lot on good humour, teamwork, strength, durability, a thick skin, drinking skills (not allways in that order).
Thanks for the reply mate. I've just been looking at the aircraft technician again, I was just wondering what the deployments (i.e few and far between or often and everywhere) presumably everywhere the AAC goes.

Long course, though beats going to uni.

Daily life of an aircraft tech would be the next step for me to know before making a decision.

Thanks again. ButtieChap.

I've seen this is a widely held opinion all over ARRSE, actually made me take a look at the trade, and it looks good to say the least
Really? You may have the choice of working on aircraft engines or vehicle engines and learning a good trade which will put you in good stead when you leave or a job that qualifies you for towing breakdowns off a motorway.
Think about it.

I've seen this is a widely held opinion all over ARRSE, actually made me take a look at the trade, and it looks good to say the least
Well, I have been out a long time now, but still attend reunions and suchlike when I get to meet the up and coming lads in the trade. They all love it and tell me that they wouldn't change trades.

Sure, it's not an Aircraft Tech type career where the financial rewards could happen in the future, but as a Recy Mech it's not all about towing cars on motorways when you eventually leave.

I know a couple of transport managers on very good money and two blokes who simply service and check lifting equipment on oil rigs and the amount that they earn makes my eyes water.

The job satisfaction as a Recy Mech is excellent and you will not get a better bunch of team mates on a job, and if you have a bit of education behind you and are still willing to roll your sleeves up and get stuck in, promotion is easy.

I am pretty sure you don't have to drink piss and eat shit sandwiches anymore...but I may be wrong...

I know a couple of transport managers on very good money and two blokes who simply service and check lifting equipment on oil rigs and the amount that they earn makes my eyes water..
My edit. Indeed, the Recy Mech trade seems to have evolved somewhat towards the Lifting Tackle and SHE areas, possibly to make more of their time when in Barracks. The longer served ones always took on LAD MT so it makes total sense to morph into the civvy side of that.

Really? You may have the choice of working on aircraft engines or vehicle engines and learning a good trade which will put you in good stead when you leave or a job that qualifies you for towing breakdowns off a motorway.
Think about it.
That's what I'm doing. After what dun_n_dusted sent me - really appreciated that by the way - I'm starting to lean towards aircraft tech, although I've always loved Land Rovers and tanks so VM is still in the running. So I do believe it's going to come down life style of the trade and personal choice of vehicle.

Thanks guys. Any other information you would like to pass on would be greatly appreciated and would in my decision making.

Thanks again. ButtieChap

That's what I'm doing. After what dun_n_dusted sent me - really appreciated that by the way - I'm starting to lean towards aircraft tech, although I've always loved Land Rovers and tanks so VM is still in the running. So I do believe it's going to come down life style of the trade and personal choice of vehicle.

Thanks guys. Any other information you would like to pass on would be greatly appreciated and would in my decision making.

Thanks again. ButtieChap

You`re banking on the cold war kicking off again.
Don`t blame you really.
It`s why I joined.

You`re banking on the cold war kicking off again.
Don`t blame you really.
It`s why I joined.
Always.
If a see a flash out the corner of my eye my first thought is "f**ken Russians".
Though of course, they would cut the internet cables first. I'm pretty sure that's why my tinternet is bad.

Last edited: