REME TA Placement from Canadian Military Reserves

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Robynishere, Jun 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there!

I am a Vehicle Technician in the Canadian Military Reserves looking to go to school in England for one year. During this time I would also like to work with the TA, preferrably in a role related to my trade. I am working with my unit on this and I have support on my end, however I need to find a regiment I can parade with as close to the school I will be attending as possible.

I haven't chosen a school yet, my choices are as follows: Kingston University, Lancaster University, Exeter University and City University.

Although there are a couple of REME regiments about an hour and a bit from Kingston, City and Lancaster, I would like to know if there is anything available near Exeter. So far I haven't found anything online that shows REME TA presence in that area.

Wondering if you guys had any suggestions since it is one of the things I am looking to help make my decision about a school.
  2. Can't tell you anything much about REME but.... (depending on our course)...if you get the chance to go to Exeter Uni...take it. It's a great place to be (from personal experience).

Even if there is no REME locally, you may find LAD or similar attached to local units (if this suits your particular trade). Not sure if 6 RIFLES have a Coy in Exeter? 1 WESSEX did, back in the olden days.

Go Canucks!
  3. Haha thank you for the advice and Canuck support!

I did find the 6 RIFLES there in Exeter but haven't been able to find out if they do have a light aid detachment. If they did it would be great because from what I've seen, Exeter is an excellent school!

May I ask you more about what it was like at Exeter? What program you took and if you lived in their accomodations?

Thanks for your response!
  4. If you are bright enough to go to uni why not look at joining the Officer Training Corps?
  5. I like the mechanic and recovery trades. I don't know if its the same in the British MoD, but in Canada, being an officer is all paperwork. I get enough of that at school!
  6. OTC is more about soldiering than officering, and entirely aimed at students. Generally the bar is cheap as well.
  7. Oh yes and there are girls!
  8. I did a language degree and it was 25 years ago so a lot will have changed! But the reputation of the Uni is better than ever. Currently in the UK top ten. I "lived in" for two years (accn was fine but better now I think) and with some friends in a cottage nearby for the other. If you are into the rural lifestyle you will enjoy that part of the world a lot.

I would get in touch with 6 RIFLES and ask them the question. Failing that you could talk to the University OTC where it would be hard not to have a good time but there may not be anything REME-ish. Another option is Plymouth which is about an hour away (or less by train) but I'm not sure what units are there.

Celer at Audax