REME stable belts surely they shouldl be worn at all time???

Discussion in 'REME' started by rememechanic, Nov 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. why cant we wear them?

2. Perhaps because its a "working belt" and they are working? Don't want to get it covered in POL?

3. but surely when we have to go visiting other units it shows them that we are proud to be in the REME by wearing our belt,i can understand its a working belt but surely if your working your wearing coveralls or are you one of those cowboys??

4. I'm not in the REME I was just guessing (as suggested by the question marks)

Why not ask these people when you see them? They may be able to explain their reasons. I very much doubt its anything to do with a lack of "espirit de corps". When you visit other units they will know you are REME when you start working on their vehicles.

5. it all depends on the unit policy/rsm. we even got told not to wear them on exercise as they are not tactical, like a squadron of lynx, landing at night with landing lights and strobes going, whisper mode switched off for the engines, are!!!

(only kidding about the whisper mode, that was blue thunder)

6. Stable belts are not issued (well, 3 months ago they weren't).
    Stable belts are not worn by all units we get attached to, for example 9/12L didn't wear stable belts so the LAD didn't either.

A REME Capbadge shows we are in REME, so does a TRF, a stable belt may reinforce the fact for the hard of thinking, but if they haven't noticed the badge and TRF, will they notice a belt?

Stable belts are definately not meant to be worn on Ops or exercise, that really is taking the mick. Wearing them in CS95 is verging on crap too, but since lightweights went out I suppose we have to.

7. not forgetting they are the best bottle openers-could never open a bottle with my rtr belt but the reme fitters plop plop ...and with a nice badge in the front...

8. Nige Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:11 pm Post subject: Re: REME stable belts surely they shouldl be worn at all time???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stable belts are not issued (well, 3 months ago they weren't).
    Stable belts are not worn by all units we get attached to, for example 9/12L didn't wear stable belts so the LAD didn't either.

A REME Capbadge shows we are in REME, so does a TRF, a stable belt may reinforce the fact for the hard of thinking, but if they haven't noticed the badge and TRF, will they notice a belt?

Stable belts are definately not meant to be worn on Ops or exercise, that really is taking the mick. Wearing them in CS95 is verging on crap too, but since lightweights went out I suppose we have to.

when you say that reme stable belts shouldnt be worn on ops,i went away not long ago and everyone under the rank of Sgt wearnt allowed to wear it but any higher and you could.How does that work??I know Rank has its priviledges but how does that work??

Funnily enough every other unit has a TRF and cap badge and usually about 20 other badges of relating battle groups and whatever but still get to wear their stable belts,to be perfectly honest I reckon its a big farce and it should worn at all times.

9. Learn to write coherently, which strangely includes the ability to spell and punctuate.

In this way people might be inclined to read your opinions...

10. If seniors are wearing stable belts but telling juniors they can't then there is a big lump of integrity missing in the Corps.

Who gives a fcuk what other units do? Surely we as a Corps should be setting examples, not following them?

11. I am sorry...I wasn't aware that I was getting marked on my spelling and punctuation. If I had known, I would have got my dictionary out!
    If you haven't got any constructive points to add,then I think its best you say nothing at all,then people wouldn't have to waste their time reading your pointless replies. :p

12. It showed...

You illiterate moron!

13. Stable belts were for wearing in stables. We were not formed when the Army used horses as its main means of transport.
    Now that we wear Cbt 95 as working dress why would you want to put a really bright splash of colour around your waist. We wear 2 embelishments from the unit we are attached too as stated in Corps Instructions. Why do we need to wear any more? These embelishments normally have to be bought out of your own pocket. I have certainly had to thank some of my bosses in the past for saving me the expense of having to buy new bits of clothing every 2 years on posting, especially with RAC Regt's where its an expensive habit.
    If you want to show off your stable belt ask your boss if you can go to work in No2 Dress trousers, Stable belt, Shirt and tie and postman pat hat neatly rounded off by jumper heavy wool in the winter(with stable belt on the outside of course).

14. Personally, I feel we should wear our "Stable Belts". As for the "2 Embellishments" rule,that applies to the unit we are attached to,it is a pain in the arse and can be expensive but it detracts from the main point of this thread. I for one have believed for a long time that we should be presented our Stable Belts on completion of Trade Training and the cost should be borne by Corps Funds, I believe other Regiments & Corps do as such now anyway.On Excercises/Operations the TRF should suffice to denote who we are, but for Esprit de Corps, been presented your Stable Belt might be a winner.The SAS have done the same with the Beret and Stable Belt for years & certainly has done them no harm.What I do find offensive is those individuals from our Corps who consider an item that reinforces our identity a mere adornment or Bauble. I wear my Stable Belt with pride and utilise it in the befitting manner at every oppertunity "TWIST TO OPEN"!!!!.

15. The heading of this thread could be a bit misleading. I remember, long time ago when the Adjutant of my regiment caused to be published in Part 1 Orders "Great coats will be worn buttoned up to the neck at all times"

Word went round of a little digger who took a shower in his great coat, properly buttoned up at the neck. After all, that is the way he had been ordered to wear his great coat 'At all times'