REME officers

So what jobs are REME officers tasked with as im hoping to get into Welbeck but if not hey ho
if i dont get in i will go another route
i understand that it wont be a fully "hands on" job but i want to find out what jobs they will do

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Engineering - not necc the oily hands type, but real engineering, problem solving, etc. You'll get excellent training and plenty of opportunities - but if it's continuous action you're after, then perhaps look elsewhere!

Oh, and not to forget (although many seem to) management skills - looking after a group of often highly skilled, highly intelligent soldiers. And possibly some Recy Mechs as well.

and of course by attending Welbeck you will be initiated into the REME Macchiavellian Appreciation Society, where amongst other things you will learn how to make your own little empire...

At least I assume you will, as every Welbexian I've ever met in the corps has been beavering away at that task (with varying degrees of success)...

What would a REME officer be any good at then, definately nothing hands on, that will end in a trip to A&E. Avoid contact with lower ranks too unless you enjoy having the piss ripped out of you, you need to be in a position where difficult decisions can be avoided, like what to have for dinner etc.

Pen pushing would be good, as long as youre not involved in soldiers career planning - cos youll be fkkin shite at that too.
I woudent worry about mess life either because the regiment offrs will just think you are a complete twat anyway and you will always be sat next to the most hated billy no mates mess member at functions and his fat wife....
H ahah ha ha ha ha

What would a REME officer be any good at then, definately nothing hands on, that will end in a trip to A&E. Avoid contact with lower ranks too unless you enjoy having the piss ripped out of you, you need to be in a position where difficult decisions can be avoided, like what to have for dinner etc.

Pen pushing would be good, as long as youre not involved in soldiers career planning - cos youll be fkkin shite at that too.
I woudent worry about mess life either because the regiment offrs will just think you are a complete twat anyway and you will always be sat next to the most hated billy no mates mess member at functions and his fat wife....
H ahah ha ha ha ha
Got to laugh at that one, Basically you ticket punch until you get comd of a detachment, then you bluff yer way with the CO leaving the ASM to do the job for you , then you ticket punch all the way to Lt Col. Don't know what you do when you get there. OH , make sure you have a really brain dead bimbo for a wife.

well with luck i will be one of those few...[/QU
Just remember you are an officer only because someone makes you one, when you get your first command start to earn it, and one day you may get that most elusive of medals, - respect from your troops..................................................................................

.....................But youll probly be shite like the rest so just get on with feathering your own nest until demob....

LLLLLoooooooLlllL

H ahah ha ha ha ha
Never met Major C-S then I take it?
The REME has good officers and decent officers, same as everywhere else.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH hark at that, he found a good one!!One in many hundreds, basically they are all carp, I should know I have worked for them for 20 odd years.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH hark at that, he found a good one!!One in many hundreds, basically they are all carp, I should know I have worked for them for 20 odd years.
Seen when seen.
I'll take your 20 years into account and claim ignorance, but to write them all off seems a tad off the wicket.

Yeah me too !! - it seems like payback time for all REME who suffered under the "management" of shyte REME officers, to be fair I will say thanks to the one and only OC who went out of his way to be helpfull (mind you he was an ex ranker) - XXXXXXXXXXXXXX! stand up and be counted mate!!
As for the rest- well I wish I could name names but theyre gonna be masked out on here anyway, - the rest of them wouldnt get Pi££ed on if they were on fire, and thats a fact.

I feel a witch hunt coming on.
Edited by Mod: Sorry, no names, even if it is to say how great he was :)

Never met Major C-S then I take it?
The REME has good officers and decent officers, same as everywhere else.
Mate Im only talking about the ones my colleagues and I drifted into during our "time" and there were some horrors out there, the thread from me is a bit tongue in cheek but it is all based on personal experiences from 70 - 93.

I seem to have stirred bad memories in other posters to the forum though - strange that isnt it...I hope all aspiring REME Officers (even those Direct Entrants ? if thats still a way in these days) will read the comments on here and realise that its not just about getting more rank than they can handle, but about the need for excellence in man-management.

Anyway to summarise - LETS BURN EM AT THE STAKE !! - after all it is BONFIRE NIGHT !!

He He He ; ))

Yeah me too !! - it seems like payback time for all REME who suffered under the "management" of shyte REME officers, to be fair I will say thanks to the one and only OC who went out of his way to be helpfull (mind you he was an ex ranker) - XXXXXXXXXXXXXX! stand up and be counted mate!!
As for the rest- well I wish I could name names but theyre gonna be masked out on here anyway, - the rest of them wouldnt get Pi££ed on if they were on fire, and thats a fact.

Edited by Mod: Sorry, no names, even if it is to say how great he was :)
Fair enough but Sam if youre out there thanks for the many alibis and the posting to the UK instead of a return trip to NI also the great references and the fact that you spotted my (low) potential whilst in uniform LLLooLL

Unfortunately SS the majority of the funny comments above are so very true for the majority of REME Officers. That said, I have served with a few good Officers...
SS, I would disagree with Tiffy clearly he has has some 'experiences' but my experinces are different and I agree with Old Snowy. That said, I have served with a few good artificers ...