REME Officer.. To be, or not to be?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by _Fordy, Oct 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm in two minds, whether to join REME or RIFLES.

Reasons for inf would sound silly if I posted, it's mostly just a "I want to" type choice. Also makes sense as I'm from an old D&D recruiting area.

However, I am very interested in electronics, so I started thinking maybe it'd be worth going for a trade, but academically, I'm on track for a Sixth Form Scholarship/Welbeck to join REME (Although apparently, with the scholarship joining a Corps isn't required, so I could choose RIFLES on that, however I understand that theres more competition for a commission there when passing out of RMAS, than for REME).

So I have been planning on joining REME as an Officer.

But, forgive me for asking a stupid question, there is limited information on army/armyjobs site - what does one actually do? For example, do junior Officers have a more "active" (for want of a better word) role, or are you bound to a desk straight away, and the role is effectively a manager, to organise what's in for repair, whether it needs to be sent to a larger repair centre etc.?

Do REME officers do any repair work themselves, or is that all done by non-commissioned types? Do REME units led by REME Officers join mechanised/armoured inf patrols, to carry out maintanence etc. or do the inf do that themselves/only technicians are assigned to those units?

My concern is, that while I would be reasonably happy with a suit and desk job, I'm not entirely sure I'd be happy with that if I'd joined the Army... At least not straight away, I'd be happier with less of a hands on role after a few years, or however long of having that "hands on role"...

I hope that makes sense, thanks in advance,

2. The roles sold to you by the respective corps/regiments are often those of the soldier. I was told at a visit with a technical corps that if they saw a troopy playing with their equipment they would politely tell him to do one.

Why not ask what a REME troopie would be doing in the REME board? Or arrange a visit. Also avoid using any personal details Mr Ollie Ford
  3. not to mention career prospects when you go back outside the wire REME is widely recognised and respected in the civilian world (got me a job)!!
  4. Thanks for the replies, clears things up.

I don't think of made any comments I'd regret, but thanks, I'll avoid it in future ;)
  5. The point was that all on ARRSE post anonymously - you have signed your post.

I was set to go REME (did an engineering degree) and had it explained that all Young Officers are predominantly Troop commanders/Man managers, not technical experts. The difference is later, when going REME can assist in achieving Chartered status and you will do more technical stuff as a REME officer. So using your acquired skills? Probably more chance as a REME officer, but you wont be on the shop floor everyday doing the job of one of your technicians...
  6. (In my experience, in Army aviation) the junior officers make engineering decisions rather than getting their hands dirty.

For example, we NEED x number of aircraft to fulfil tomorrow's requirements, but one of them's decked with a problem and there are no spares. Can it be repaired in order to allow it to fly again? Can it be repaired to such an extent that it'll be airworthy albeit not a permanent repair? Or shall we just say, nope, no way, something has to give and we prioritise who doesn't get their aircraft the next day.

The 2Lt, Lt, Capt will take advice from the experienced tradesmen and make his decision balancing that advice against the need to satisfy tasking requirements. In truth I seldom saw them venture out of their offices, and when they did it was to inspect/ examine something in order to make a decision, rather than to don covvies and get their hands dirty.

On a personal note, and heed that it is just my bitter and cynical personal view, I can't remember a single university-educated direct entry officer who was worth his salt. If you do take this path, listen to your SNCO's, is all I can say.

And good luck!
  7. Thanks, I'd like to think I'm not that type, which is why I had reservations as to it being the right route - however I've sent off forms now, and I'd quite like to join the TA without commission between now - while going through education - until, hopefully, joining fully. Which with any luck will help me not lose the not-ignoring-those-who-know-what-they're-on-about factor.

Thanks for the replies, fingers crossed now :)
  8. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

I expect they were all so dumb-struck by your awesomeness that they just appeared unworthy of their own salt.

As a general rule, it's fair to say that the army has a proportion of utter choppers at all ranks. You can identify one particular strand of these people by their habit of gobbing off about how crap all officers are...
  9. Not gobbing off about how crap all officers are at all, cpunk, just the university-educated direct entry ones. The ex-rankers were brilliant bosses, managers, engineers officers and all-round good blokes. But not the direct entry ones. IMHO. And if the young Mr Ford keeps his feet on the ground, perhaps he can break that mould.

Sorry if you felt like my earlier comment was a personal slight, cpunk.

PS You're right about me being a chopper, mind.