REME Museum

Should the original capbadge be retained as the log?

• Yes

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • No

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters
I can see what's happened here. The old logo was dismantled for the move from Arborfield. When they reassembled it at Lyneham, they've done a complete bodge job of it, resulting in something that's a bit of an abortion, thereby upholding the proud traditions of the Corps.

Can't see a problem.

verticalgyro

MIA
DirtyBAT
I don't see it as an issue. Lyneham and even the road signs on the way there are awash with Corps badges and red/gold/blue signs and flags. This is simply a motif of a new and from what I gather, a forward looking, museum that will be a place where both our history and our present day Corp is showcased.

The idea that museums should be stuffy draughty buildings filled with glass cabinets has long gone. Have you visited the IWM recently? That's how it should be done and if it assists recruitment and retention then it's a positive thing.

I appreciate that people may not share my view; the cap badge is important however it's not like the museum are airbrushing their new motif onto old photographs.

As an aside, if this is your view, for historical correctness shouldn't you be campaigning for the original cap badge to be used?

Plus, when the Queen shuffles off (humans have this horrible habit of dieing) we would need to change the badge again!

On a more serious note, has the actual legality of the logo been looked into? I seem to recall that the depiction of the Royal Crown(s) is strictly controlled (a bit like a trademark). Those entitled to use it and the way in which it was used were set down in law.

Perhaps things have changed, but I am not aware of any such change.

I think that there are even restrictions on the use of the term 'Royal'. If a pub has anciently held a name such the 'Royal Oak' it is entitled to its use. However, if it ever changes its name, it is not allowed, at a later date, to revert to the original name.

Last edited:

verticalgyro

MIA
DirtyBAT
On a more serious note, has the actual legality of the logo been looked into? I seem to recall that the depiction of the Royal Crown(s) is strictly controlled (a bit like a trademark). Those entitled to use it and the way in which it was used were set down in law.

Perhaps things have changed, but I am not aware of any such change.
It isn't using a registered trademark, it's a new one made up.

Stand down Inspector, or we'll make you work with dingerr.

It isn't using a registered trademark, it's a new one made up.

Stand down Inspector, or we'll make you work with dingerr.
As far as trademarks are concerned, anything that has a sufficiently similar appearance to a registered trademark or has the tendency to confuse somebody into believing that it was a registered trademark, is a breach of trademark.

I don't know for certain, but I would imagine that similar provision exists for the St Edward's Crown.

(Edit: Having looked at the new museum logo, it bears a strong resemblance to the Tudor Crown (the King's Crown) rather than the St Edward's Crown, but the same possibility applies. I bet some whizz-kid consultancy was paid a lot of money to design it.)

Last edited:
As an aside, if this is your view, for historical correctness shouldn't you be campaigning for the original cap badge!
I am not campaigning for historical correctness.
And yes I do know what the original cap badge looked like. In fact I have in my trinket box.

The current cap cap badge, and the previous one with Kings Crown, has been worn with pride by hundreds of thousands of Craftsmen, and similar designs in Australian, New Zealand, Canada and some other Commnwealth countries and is recognised by veterans and civvies alike so the lame excuse that the proposed logo will attract more civvie visitors doesn't hold water.

The retention of a cap badge based logo doesn't preclude the museum having modern internal design and content.

I do wonder as the Museum is funded by charitable donations what the cost of the design work and who authorised it.

And yes I do know what the original cap badge looked like. In fact I have in my trinket box.

The current cap cap badge, and the previous one with Kings Crown, has been worn with pride by hundreds of thousands of Craftsmen, and similar designs in Australian, New Zealand, Canada and some other Commnwealth countries and is recognised by veterans and civvies alike so the lame excuse that the proposed logo will attract more civvie visitors doesn't hold water.

The retention of a cap badge based logo doesn't preclude the museum having modern internal design and content.

I do wonder as the Museum is funded by charitable donations what the cost of the design work and who authorised it.
The trustees most likely, you know, the people responsible for managing the Corps Museum on behalf of the Corps.

Extract from Corps Instructions No A7:

THE TRUSTEES OF THE REME MUSEUM OF TECHNOLOGY

9. The REME Museum is a Charitable Trust (Registered Number 272740) and the Trustees are the Members of the REME Corps Trustees Committee (Corps Instruction D1).

10. The Trustees are responsible for all aspects of the management and administration of the REME Museum including:

a. The approval of an annual budget and the resultant bid for funds from the REME Central Charitable Trust.

b. The making of regulations consistent with the Deed of Trust.

c. The sale and disposal of items of the Collection.

d. Approval of the acquisition, loan or disposal of Museum articles within the provisions of Clauses 6 and 7 of the Deed of Trust.

Home - REME Museum

I've signed it.......I think.

It's a bit difficult to tell. I definitely had a bit of a 'Harrumph!' though.

verticalgyro

MIA
DirtyBAT

Fair enough, you have your reasons.

I expressed my thinking, there was no need to call it a "lame excuse" unless you consider your opinion more valid then mine.

We need early reports of the crapness of the new museum shop and cafeteria. The museum is off to a good start with the new logo, it seems.

Which is the most crap Regimental/Corps Museum?

Bonus points will be awarded for the most irrelevant gift items on display in the shop, themed REME fudge etc. Brownie points will also be added for the most hideously expensive chocolate brownies in the cafeteria.

verticalgyro

MIA
DirtyBAT
I think your efforts would be better served by petitioning for the Barracks to be renamed from the somewhat cold and drab "MOD Lyneham" to something more appropriate like "St Eligius Barracks" or indeed "Prince Phillip Barracks". The WO & Sgts Mess is called "Wally Harris Mess" I believe, which is a nice tribute to a genuinely nice man who was REME to the core and supported us into his old age.

Edit: I just noticed that according to the footnote address it already is "Prince Phillip Barracks" - maybe threaten to burn the curators house down unless she changes the address block top left.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
You know what they say about assumption. You should go and see, if it's as good as our old one it will be well worth a visit.
I'm sure it is, now have a sweetie poppet and calm down, it's bound to be better than my Corps one

"we have to attract an audience who have no idea what the Corps of REME is or what we do".
We already have, unfortunately they are now in charge of us........

Latest Threads