REME mess dress

Discussion in 'REME' started by bored_squaddie, Nov 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a quick question,

Do we wear poppies in mess dress? If yes, where and how?

Cheers,
    b_s

2. When outside in No 10 dress (Temperate Mess Kit) both officers and seniors should also wear their No1 dress forage cap. Poppies should be worn on the cap attached to the chin strap button.

3. Where did that come from? I was always led to believe that mess dress was seen as civilian kit, as it is purchased at one's own expense. IIRC, This would mean that if a poppy is worn, it should be positioned on the left side of the chest. I may be wrong though...

4. Dress Regulations.

Mess Dress is not civilian kit, regardless of whether you pay for it or not. You can purchase a No1 Jacket - but that too is subject to Dress Regs.

5. I didn't think you wore a craphat with mess dress?? I don't recall ever wearing one?

6. You are (or in your case were) supposed to when outside. It is pretty rare to see it however I suppose that's because most times that you are in mess dress you are in the mess, on top of that most people don't know that they should wear it when outside anyway.

7. When walking over to the gym for reggy boxing for example, we never wore it.

Maybe it's just a not well known fact.....and long may it remain that way!

8. That is one of the few situations where I have seen it worn - and then not by many (2 people in fact on that occasion). It is also worn at outdoor events sometimes - and is useful if saluting is required.

It's not that well known I suppose but maybe it's a little more widely known now.

9. Wont be wearing a hat, but I didn't know that it was worn with mess dress outside either, any further answers on the poppy? Looks like it'll be, not wearing but tucked in pocket incase. ;)

b_s

10. You could buy 2, and put them behind your collardogs?? ;)