REME in the Balkans presentation, help needed.

Discussion in 'REME' started by rchappy88, Aug 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone,

I'm doing a presentation on REME in the Balkans. I've just completed the foundation courses at Arborfield and passing this presentation means we can get rid of the 'newb' rank slides and stop marching around camp.

Anyways...

I'm stuck on 'Pre-Deployment Training' for the REME (not the Army as a whole, just the REME).

I'm hoping there's users on these forums who served in Bosnia and can tell me some useful facts i can stick in there. I'm covering 2 subjects, any help with information on either of these would be grately appreciated.

REME Equipment Support
    REME Pre-Deployment Training

Thanks in advance!!

2. What is there to say about Bosnia tours for REME? You would work till your eyes bled somedays or sit about and do bone tasks (like Tiffy/ leadership days!). And once work had finished you either went down the Regt bar for your 2 tins of Foster's or went to the gym to become a gym-queen, that was my experience of these tours.

My first tour was Op PALATINE 1998-99 in Split, Croatia with 7 Regt RLC Wksp. I lived in Dalma warehouse, but worked in Split North Port. Our role was 1st Line fitter support for all the Port Ops (17 Port and Maritine RLC), Vehicle Replacement Section RLC (their role was like Whole Fleet Management). We had 1 Bn REME as our 2nd Line ES if any job was going to take longer than 8 hours. The equipment that was suported by us was DROPS, MWD's(fuel tankers),RTCH (iso container lifter), Bedford TM's, 4T, Daf 4T, Foden Recovery, Land-rovers and BV206. As for pre-deployment training that was 5 days in Sennelager doing ranges, riot control and RTA scenarios. There was a lot of mine awareness and practice ( I remember getting bollocked by the DS during one RTA scenario because I walked on the grass to assess the situation - the grass was a minefield!). We also were taught some intro Serbo-Croat language phrases like,'Pivo' as it could save your life (especially in a Croation bar). Another part of the training was the use of interpeters to communicate with the local civpop.

My second and final tour was Op OCCULUS 2003-04 in Sipovo, Bosnia with 1 RGR, but I was dettached from 2 Bn REME. That was a different ball game looking after an infantry Coy of Gurkha's, I ran their fitter section, but we had to use FEMIS deployable which always crashed. The Coy had a fleet of Saxon's, Daf 4T, Land-rovers, Foden Recovery and a few JCB FLRT's and you could say that the Gurkha's equipment care management was shocking. I filled in more damage reports on that tour compared to 3 tours of Iraq. Our 2nd Line ES was done by 2 Bn REME in the same workshop. The pre-deployment training was exactly the same as mentioned previously, but they took the riot control part out and it was carried out in Sennelager again.

An important point to mention that on both my Bosnia tours we still carried out REME business such ECI's, Techevals and Tiffy training days just as we would in camp in Germany. I forgot to mention that we still got kit and room inspections even though it was classed as an operational tour (we had a CSM who would check that your sideburns were not below the centre of you ear).

3. I dont recall doing anything different with regards to pre-deployment training than the rest of the people from the units i was deployed with. It still stands the same now even with Afghan, you do the same exercises and other shite like the ARB, the only difference is you might get thrown on an equipment course or 3 to learn bollocks about some bit of kit that you wont touch until in theatre and hence will probably forget half the pointless shit they teach you because it was 8 months since you did the chip-shop piece of shit course, the only thing of real use being the ability to log in to the laptop/software they seem to come with and muddle your way through to find the parts that usually dont even have NSN's and try find solutions to problems because the SME's are too ******* busy to help at the time.... Good luck with your 1 minute presentation!

4. Thanks alot for that!!!

I'm just wondering if you could tell me what the REME did in terms of pre-deployment training?

a) Where did you go to do it
    b) How long was it (was it splitt into diff parts etc)
    c) What did the training primarily consist of (for the REME).
    d) Did you go BATUS?

If you could answer them for me, i think i'll be onto a winner.

I've gotta squeeze approx 5 mins out of this and sieving thru the library archives is not gettin me anywhere.

thanks again!!!

5. I'm just wondering if you could tell me what the REME did in terms of pre-deployment training?

a) Where did you go to do it
    b) How long was it (was it splitt into diff parts etc)
    c) What did the training primarily consist of (for the REME).
    d) Did you go BATUS, what happened (in a nutshell)?

If you could answer them for me, i think i'll be onto a winner.

I've gotta squeeze approx 5 mins out of this and sieving thru the library archives is not gettin me anywhere.

thanks again!!!

6. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Any use (Grapple 2)?

CIMG1181.jpg

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hi go to the library and look for some back copies of the REME Journel (I think that what it was called) its a glossie booklet they published every year. I remember an artical in the summer of 96 about 3 Bn on Grapple7 and Resoulet 1.
    They will, if they are still available be a good reference source. Good luck on your new career.

• Like Like x 1
  8. We did our pre deployment trg at Sennelager, it was about 2 weeks long and was loosely based around weapon trg (ranges etc and brush up section wpns anti tank etc), there was a very amusing anti aircraft shoot which involved a group of bods in the back of a daf (minus canopy) mit gats, a shamooly was then launched and we had to try and shoot it down whilst the daf was being driven round the range. Night attacks, rules of engagement, serb/croat language (useful). Getting wankered on the strip at night. We had a shitload of briefings when we arrived in Split in the port, these cheered us up for the drive to Vitez, music like chris rea's road to hell was playing as it started, very fekking dull. Should be lots of pics in the gallery on here.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks for the info @VerticalGyro @befeater @two-four-albert, and thanks for that pic @Brotherton Lad i will stick that in. Could you desribe what i'm lookin at though... like a caption if you can?

10. Up armoured Warrior 510, with a very bent barrel by the looks of things, Warrior 513 behind it you can just see the blade, we didnt get any extra armour for the REME variants hence most 512/513 had "Real men dont wear Chobham" painted on them somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Brotherton Lad

1. 1 PWO BG LAD in Vitez, a spot of track bashing. 1993. (1 PWO is now called 1 YORKS, this week at least).

2. My Warrior being recovered by REME after flipping off the road on the way to Sarajevo.

Below, my 2IC pulling the thing over before REME arrived.

CIMG1183.jpg

12. Not walking it on the nose then? ;-)

13. Looks like one of those times where you should have left it to the experts.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Brotherton Lad

I was keen to get back to camp in daylight hours, there being only 6 of us. It was back on the road in about 10 days c/w new mushroom spacer.

The Rarden was already trashed, btw.

15. What's a shamooly?

I'm guessing a flare of some sort?

cheers