REME IH Halftracks

As I understand it, after amalgamation in July 1944, 3/4th CLY remained in 4th Armoured Bde. for the rest of the war.
Thus the 'Black Rat' on a white square was the formation badge.
The LAD was considered part of the regiment so would have worn the AoS of '123' in white on the red/yellow/blue square of REME.
If attached to a particular Sqn. for any length of time the Sqn identifier may have been on the doors.
Triangle for 'A' Sqn
Square for 'B' Sqn.
Circle for 'C' Sqn.
These were coloured in some units according to a protocol, but as I cannot access my books I cannot check details.
I suggest an e-mail to the curator of the Sharpshooters Museum at Hever Castle.
ksymuseum.co.uk
He might be slow in replying has that is one of several jobs including a small scale model company (Dan Taylor Modelworks). Also author of the book on Villers Bocage, and appears in a few TV programmes.

HTH

Truxx

LE
As I understand it, after amalgamation in July 1944, 3/4th CLY remained in 4th Armoured Bde. for the rest of the war.
The LAD was considered part of the regiment so would have worn the AoS of '123' in white on the red/yellow/blue square of REME.
If attached to a particular Sqn. for any length of time the Sqn identifier may have been on the doors.
Triangle for 'A' Sqn
Square for 'B' Sqn.
Circle for 'C' Sqn.
These were coloured in some units according to a protocol, but as I cannot access my books I cannot check details.
ksymuseum.co.uk
He might be slow in replying has that is one of several jobs including a small scale model company (Dan Taylor Modelworks). Also author of the book on Villers Bocage, and appears in a few TV programmes.

HTH
Brilliant stuff.

For the required stencils have a word with Axholme Signs.

Triangle for 'A' Sqn
Square for 'B' Sqn.
Circle for 'C' Sqn.
ksymuseum.co.uk

HTH
Thank you ,
email sent.... in a strange way it's almost like it was pre ordained that we end up marking her up as 3/4th CLY.....
Heaver is within Halftrack driving distance ..... and their post war amalgamation with the Royal West Kents squares a circle with a strong family history with them in WW1....

Some were earning their keep in the '90's....
Halftrack_Cromer_Mai_1993.jpg

Cromer May 1993
Occasional de-mobbed stuff crops up on the Reddit Tank-P**n site. The latest stunner was a Panther with a crane, in France, another with a ploughing Czechoslovakia.

Brilliant stuff.

For the required stencils have a word with Axholme Signs.

Some were earning their keep in the '90's....
View attachment 665298
Cromer May 1993
Occasional de-mobbed stuff crops up on the Reddit Tank-P**n site. The latest stunner was a Panther with a crane, in France, another with a ploughing Czechoslovakia.
That one is now restored to it's original glory....the JCB is a classic now to ;-)

That one is now restored to it's original glory....the JCB is a classic now to ;-)
That's good to know!
Thanks.
On a 'lad's trip to Normandy back in the 1970's we visited a farmer who was operating an SdKfz 251 minus armour and outer roadwheels, but fitted with a U.S. plough, jib and stake body on the back. All the spares were stacked up, so I hope he made some money on it... IIRC he also had a 1 ton chassis.

In the mid 80s, I and couple of mates rode down to Portugal through France.
There I saw an SdKfz7 as a farmers flatbed farm truck and in Portugal a Quad gun tractor with a jib pulling logs out of a forest.

We had a battle and it fought to the end with a cracked cylinder head amongst the problems but despite this we got the Halftrack to Dorset for A&E 2020 ....
The stencils were probably still tacky when we drove down to Weymouth sea front for fish and chips friday evening and she did a further 53 odd miles much of it off road over the next 2 days without missing a beat.
Now after driving round a very dusty Bovvy training area on Sat afternoon the Halftrack is beginning to acquire the patina that marks a used and enjoyed vehicle from a immaculate better than factory restoration .
To say I'm chuffed is an understatement ....

Latest Threads