ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

REME IH Halftracks

Discussion in 'REME' started by grimbo, Mar 31, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apart from the one's in the museum you never see any restored REME Halftracks .

I would think they all have long ago been stripped and restored as wartime Halftracks probably with American markings ;-)

Has anyone got any pictures or info on these ?
    How many were converted and what variations ?
    Where they a "local" mod or all converted to a standard ?
    Reason for asking is I think I may know where an unrestored REME Halftrack is .
    It is minus it's Jib and tin roof .......would love to find more info on the REME version and what it was like to live and work with .....were they liked or horrendous to use ?
    Would make an interesting project and be different from all the "American" ones

• Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 2
  2. Why not stick a post on the HMVF forum? There is a thread there

Question REME Forward Repair Teams - Page 2

Like many online fora not everyone knows what they are talking about but many do.

I used to know a LE REME, Ron Thwaites, who drove one back in the day.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Oh and when you want it dragged out and recovered to chez Grimbo give me a shout!

4. Pics?

5. IH M5A1 , built September 1943 1545 BAIV.JPG

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Bit of T cut it'll be fine:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Any idea's on this and the other unit badges ? had an engine rebuild by the Army in 1964 IMAG3168.jpg

8. Mechanically it seems in pretty good state , connected a battery and the engine turns over on the starter .
    Spending a small fortune now collecting the parts we need . Track's , road wheels , bogie wheels , floor and interior plus I'm sure many so far undiscovered issues .
    I an very lucky in the fact Mrs G is as enthusiastic about it as I am although I suspect she is happy in the knowledge that these type of projects keep me away from trouble .

9. Suspect the hardest part to find are the tracks as to my knowledge the only known source of new kit is in Israel. The project will certainly keep you busy and out of trouble.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  10. New tracks being produced by De Beule in Holland , better than the Israeli ones and will last the life of the HT or about 6000 -7000 kms which at 2 MPG is a lot of petrol .
    He is out of stock at the moment but more due soon.

• Informative Informative x 3
  11. Sorted.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Is that a Cat or Panther ? it has whiskers but can't ID it , very keen to preserve it's heritage and redo all the original markings we can find . Mrs has spoken with REME museum but they don't hold individual vehicle records .

13. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

Is this your intent?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2