REME Commando?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by jon_d_h, Jun 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All

I am new to this site and am after some answers that I cant find anywhere. I am interested in joining the REME as a technician as I am already a fully qualified electrical engineer but I cant find out what technicians jobs are best for me with my experience and qualifications. Also, one of the main reasons I want to join the army is to do the commando training to support the royal marines. I have been into the afco and they couldnt give me any specific job desicriptions or couldnt tell me if I can do the commando training. For example, if I was to join as an avionics technician in the army air corps, could I still do the commando course or would I have to be in the royal engineers for that? Also, where can I find a list of job descriptions for technicians jobs? The afco couldnt tell me and I can see them all on the army website.

Thanks for any help

2. Why dont you join the Booties?
  3. You can get a book with all of REMEs trades in?

If you done electrical engineering maybe look at electrician in RE, or some of the design engineer trades?
  4. Well I have looked into it but I would not be able to specialize in a trade for at least 2 years. And I dont fancy general duties for that period of time.

I would like to choose a technical trade for the better chance to be promoted and the fact that if I didnt, it would be a great pay drop to what I am on now.

5. Sorry, just realised my original thread has been put into the REME section on here if you could reply to that one.

This thread can now be deleted.

6. The Navy have aviation techs that can do the commando course
  7. If you are on good money now, you will take a pay drop no matter what military trade you choose. Especially during training. There are compensations for that though.

BTW, it is probably a mistake to start two threads on the same topic. It might get confusing.

Good luck though, I wish that I was starting again.