REME Avionics Tech Vs Vehicle Mech

Hi all..

I am in the process of joining the Army, I have done my BARB and scored 80 and I am now waiting for my doctor to fill out his part of the medical form.
At first I was interested in joining as an OPMI in the Intelligence Corps. However since looking at the engineering jobs list I seem to be more interested and suited to joining the army as a REME. The 2 jobs that most catch my eye are Avionics Tech & Vehicle Mech.. I understand that a VM when leaving the mob could do civvie car mechanics, HGV, heavy plant and mechanical engineering!? So what does a Avionics/Electronics Tech do on civvie street?

I am still undecided and I am not making the decision solely on what I could do when/if I left the army but it would be nice to have a few ideas :-D

Thanks in advance

P.s I already know I could work at supermarkets, fast food chains and/or be homeless

Okay, So just too put my mind at rest as I do think Av Tech would be more interesting, Could an ex Avionics tech look to be a hardware engineer? If not have you got some suggested job titles as Avionics Technician Jobs doesn't produce alot

I do know that here in New Zealand avionics techs are as rare as rocking horse shit and will never go without work.
I suppose this is the one positive from having an education system that doesn't beleive in teaching maths and science. (or English for that matter).

I can't speak for the army side but RAF Avionics techs (not mechs) were qualified to HNC/HND level in my time. Many of my ex-colleagues went on to become licenced engineers for commercial airlines and others into more diverse tech areas such as F1, IT and telecomms.

There was also a significant difference in payscales between AV and MT Tech.

Hi all..

I am in the process of joining the Army, I have done my BARB and scored 80 and I am now waiting for my doctor to fill out his part of the medical form.
At first I was interested in joining as an OPMI in the Intelligence Corps. However since looking at the engineering jobs list I seem to be more interested and suited to joining the army as a REME. The 2 jobs that most catch my eye are Avionics Tech & Vehicle Mech.. I understand that a VM when leaving the mob could do civvie car mechanics, HGV, heavy plant and mechanical engineering!? So what does a Avionics/Electronics Tech do on civvie street?

I am still undecided and I am not making the decision solely on what I could do when/if I left the army but it would be nice to have a few ideas :-D

Thanks in advance

P.s I already know I could work at supermarkets, fast food chains and/or be homeless
Become rent boys, all of them.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B REME 5
W REME 15
L REME 16