REME Avionics Tech Vs Vehicle Mech

Discussion in 'REME' started by PotentialOPMI, Sep 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all..

I am in the process of joining the Army, I have done my BARB and scored 80 and I am now waiting for my doctor to fill out his part of the medical form.
    At first I was interested in joining as an OPMI in the Intelligence Corps. However since looking at the engineering jobs list I seem to be more interested and suited to joining the army as a REME. The 2 jobs that most catch my eye are Avionics Tech & Vehicle Mech.. I understand that a VM when leaving the mob could do civvie car mechanics, HGV, heavy plant and mechanical engineering!? So what does a Avionics/Electronics Tech do on civvie street?

I am still undecided and I am not making the decision solely on what I could do when/if I left the army but it would be nice to have a few ideas :-D

Thanks in advance

P.s I already know I could work at supermarkets, fast food chains and/or be homeless

2. Okay, So just too put my mind at rest as I do think Av Tech would be more interesting, Could an ex Avionics tech look to be a hardware engineer? If not have you got some suggested job titles as Avionics Technician Jobs doesn't produce alot

3. Okay great. That's filled me with confidence that I am making the right decision :) Thanks for the prompt and enlightening replies.

4. I do know that here in New Zealand avionics techs are as rare as rocking horse shit and will never go without work.
    I suppose this is the one positive from having an education system that doesn't beleive in teaching maths and science. (or English for that matter).

5. I can't speak for the army side but RAF Avionics techs (not mechs) were qualified to HNC/HND level in my time. Many of my ex-colleagues went on to become licenced engineers for commercial airlines and others into more diverse tech areas such as F1, IT and telecomms.

There was also a significant difference in payscales between AV and MT Tech.

6. Become rent boys, all of them.