Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Reme Avionics tech questions

Hello,

I'm at the grand age of 27 I have passed the assessment centre and I am hopefully looking to join the reme as an avionics tech this year. I have a few questions that hopefully someone on here may be able to help with either through previous experience or because they've worked with Av techs.

1) What are the prospects for travel like with the role? Do aircraft go somewhere without the avionics techs and just with aircraft techs? Or are Avionic techs just as critical and also travel with the aircraft squadron? (A part of joining for me is for the potential travel opportunities, so would I get out some opportunities to?)

2) After phase 1 are you in the field much in both training and at Bn or is it all workshop/classroom after that?

3) Are you at the same posting for your whole career are do you move about? I ask this because at each UK posting I find there are different aircraft which I assume requires some further training after phase 2.

4) From people I've spoken to (mostly infantry) they've told me it's a role that the right person can progress though the ranks fast. Is there any truth to that? And why is that if it is true?

5) Lastly, after a while what are the prospects like on civvie street for the role? Now I'm not planning to go until I've hopefully had a long career. I am asking because I want to hopefully avoid being in my 40/50s and have to find a new trade in life and start from scratch again.

I'm no expert, but I worked with them for years.

In no particular order, you'll go where the aircraft go, and will be able to be posted amongst the fleet so to speak.
Promotion is quick, most techs leave training as L/cpl's and then move up to Cpl soon after.
Things seem to slow down promotion wise after that, and you'll probably be a Cpl for a good while. There may be an opportunity to fast track onto an artificers course, but they used to be quite sought after.

Not being a nay sayer, but aviation has taken a pounding recently, but there's always a need for qualified folk.

As I said , I'm no expert but I was mates with and worked alongside a whole bunch of BAT's.
Hope this helps.

There will always be jobs for engineers, whether AV rigger, grubber or whatever type. Av is getting more and more involved in all the other systems on an aircraft
You will not be limited to just aviation type jobs as a lot of aviation engineering is transferable to different types of job.

There will always be jobs for engineers, whether AV rigger, grubber or whatever type. Av is getting more and more involved in all the other systems on an aircraft
You will not be limited to just aviation type jobs as a lot of aviation engineering is transferable to different types of job.
There is soon to be a huge glut of av, a&p, etc on the hunt for employment, so there might always be a need, but it will soon turn out that there are too many qualified bods and not enough jobs.

I’m full B2 avionics engineer, with part B1, C and A licences. Over 20 years civvie, building that lot up along with a load of Boeing and Airbus type ratings on my ticket.
(Before that 13 years Crab Air, all of my postings on Squadrons.)
Right now on furlough, wondering if I’ve done my last Daily Check. Things are looking really fucked, not to put too fine a point on it.

However.....

If you can get into the army, getting paid to be trained and then filling your boots into your 40’s enjoying the life, bloody go for it.
Civvie wise, things might have picked up by then anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm at the grand age of 27 I have passed the assessment centre and I am hopefully looking to join the reme as an avionics tech this year. I have a few questions that hopefully someone on here may be able to help with either through previous experience or because they've worked with Av techs.

1) What are the prospects for travel like with the role? Do aircraft go somewhere without the avionics techs and just with aircraft techs? Or are Avionic techs just as critical and also travel with the aircraft squadron? (A part of joining for me is for the potential travel opportunities, so would I get out some opportunities to?)

2) After phase 1 are you in the field much in both training and at Bn or is it all workshop/classroom after that?

3) Are you at the same posting for your whole career are do you move about? I ask this because at each UK posting I find there are different aircraft which I assume requires some further training after phase 2.

4) From people I've spoken to (mostly infantry) they've told me it's a role that the right person can progress though the ranks fast. Is there any truth to that? And why is that if it is true?

5) Lastly, after a while what are the prospects like on civvie street for the role? Now I'm not planning to go until I've hopefully had a long career. I am asking because I want to hopefully avoid being in my 40/50s and have to find a new trade in life and start from scratch again.
When did you do assessment ?