REME / Avionics & Electronics Life

Discussion in 'REME' started by Nayweiser, Jun 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. First started this thread to make my mind up about what trade to go for. Passed selection now and am heading for ATR Bassingbourn on 24th Nov to start Phase 1 of my career as Electronics Tech :)

Hope all the questiosn and answers help anytone else considering joining :)

1. What does your daily job (After Phase 2) consist of?
    2. What opportunities for travel/Goin on "Tour" do you have?
    3. What opportunities for different qualifications are there?
    4. Where are you working at the moment?
    5. What part of the job is the most boring?
    6. After Phase 2, do you find you actually use the Physics and Maths (etc) that you've learnt in your daily job?

2. Electronics Technician:

Diagnosis and repair of unit's equipment. Includes anything electrical, ie, vehicle electrics too.
    Lots. Canada for the MedMan ex, Poland on ex, you almost definately will deploy to Iraq and/or Afghanistan within your first 4 years.
    Class 1 course gives you parts of a HNC which can be completed by distant study (similar to OU). You only need an extra 40 points for this. Artificer course means a degree in Electronics and a degree in Management. There is also opportunity to complete the Advanced Modern Apprentiship which is very worthwhile if you're thinking of staying in the Electronics world after your time in the Army. The AMA is recognised as the first year complete in a university.
    Posted to an Artillery unit in Germany.
    The paperwork side. Needs to be done though. Try to steer clear of the Tech Library. Trust me!
    6. After Phase 2, do you find you actually use the Physics and Maths (etc) that you've learnt in your daily job?
    Yes, so keep on top if you want a career in the REME. Nothing more frustrating than doing an equipment course and realising you've forgotten half the basics!

Hope this helps!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Really appreciate your answer mate. Very useful! When you say that you get posted to Afghanistan/Iraq, it has definitely opened my eyes a little. I had the idea that the Electronics/Avionics Technicians sat back far from any war camps fixing the machines. Obviously I was wrong :)

I have a couple more questions if anyone is able to answer:

7. What band of pay does the REME fit under? Is it at the higher end similar to the Int Corps, or lower?
    8. What is the accomdation like at Arbofield? And where would I expect my Barracks/Home to be after Phase 2?

4. 7. What band of pay does the REME fit under? Is it at the higher end similar to the Int Corps, or lower?
    REME technicians start on low band as Cfn. Once Phase 2 has been completed, you will more than likely be promoted to LCpl, and move to high band pay. This is of course providing you pass a fitness test, unlike a guy at my unit who is STILL a cfn, after well over a year...

8. What is the accomdation like at Arbofield? And where would I expect my Barracks/Home to be after Phase 2?
    Accommodation isn't too bad. Don't expect the Hilton though. "aged" would be a good description. Arborfield is due to be relocated to St Athen in South Wales within the next few years.
    Following Phase 2, you could go to almost any unit. This of course depends on which equipment course you get. Have a look at the REME website. Just type REME into google.co.uk.

5. Just come up with a couple more questions.. Maybe we could sticky this as an FAQ page? lol You've been very helpful rockstar mate!

9. Would you say work as a technician is varied, or do you think it can be a bit of a grind?

10. I've read up on Artificer training, what is required of you to actually achieve this?

6. 9. Would you say work as a technician is varied, or do you think it can be a bit of a grind?

As varied as anything else. More and more equipment is becoming dependant on increasing amounts of technology. Not just within the forces, but in civilian life too. Have a look on the Army's main website to see all the kit. Almost all of it has some form of electrickery involved in it.

10. I've read up on Artificer training, what is required of you to actually achieve this?

Spine removal

• Like Like x 1
  7. Avionics Technician

Repair and maintenance of Apache and Lynx helicopters (some other aircraft types as well dependant upon unit). Always supervised by a Class 1 Cpl/Sgt

Although the majority of Aviation units are now based in the UK, aircraft are used all over the world - and you will be needed wherever the Army serves. Expect Op Tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, but also tours in Kenya, Canada, USA etc where-ever the big exercises are.

Same as Rockstar's answer for the Electronics Technician. This is because Avionics and Electonics are essentially the same trade working on different equipments.

Arborfield.

Anything that takes you away from your core role. We all joined to do the job we're trained for. When the shit jobs come around (painting vehicles, etc) it seems a tremendous waste of resources to those highly trained individuals to be taken from their job spec.

Part of faultfinding on any electronics/electrical bit of kit is knowing what to expect before you test a point. The ability to roughly calculate voltages & current, and anticipate approximate resistances using Ohms Law and the like can turn a lengthy faultfinding session into a simple couple of checks. The principles that you learn at Arborfield are the foundations to your trade. They make you a far better technician.

Hope that helps, and best of luck to you, no matter what trade you eventually choose.

8. 9. Would you say work as a technician is varied, or do you think it can be a bit of a grind?

There are many different equipments to work on, and many different tasks and roles you will be called upon to accomplish. I have had very little boredom in my career so far. We're far too busy for that!

Ambition. Drive. You have to want to do it. The tiffy course unlocks a complete career path. Without it you will be lucky to get past the rank of Sergeant. Don't get me wrong, Sergeant is a very good rank to be, but seeing as most technicians hit Sgt in the first half of their career, the second half may feel like you've missed an opportunity if you don't at least try to go tiffy.

Edit: Yes, I know I've missed out 7 & 8 - Rockstar answered those fully.

9. My answer to 10 was far better though!

10. Thought i'd add another couple of questions to this list!

11. Is Phase 2 mainly theoretical work, or is it mixed with plenty of practical aswell?

12. After phase 1, do you find that because your doing a more technical than physical job that fitness isn't as important?

11. 11. Is Phase 2 mainly theoretical work, or is it mixed with plenty of practical aswell?

You'll start with Maths and then go on to electronic principals. Most of the work in phase 2 is theoretical, but you'll then be loaded onto an equipment course at Arborfield, where you'll learn about the equipment in detail which involves more practical.

12. After phase 1, do you find that because your doing a more technical than physical job that fitness isn't as important?

No. Firstly, you'll hear often enough that you're a soldier first, tradesman second. Secondly, you'll do your fair share of phys (in the units I've been with, at least three times a week) and will also take part in "green" exercises (infantry skills training, etc), not to mention promotion courses which all involve running and sweating. Keep up on your phys!

12. Yes. Yes it was.

13. Couple more questions..

13. Electronics tech is obviously quite a broad job, seeing as you could be working on the electronics for almost anything within the army. Do you get to chose what part type of electronics you work on (Such as Artillery electronics or Communications electronics), or is it sort of "You get what your given"?

14. How do you branch off into Avionics/Electronics when you're doing your phase 2 training?

14. 13. Electronics tech is obviously quite a broad job, seeing as you could be working on the electronics for almost anything within the army. Do you get to chose what part type of electronics you work on (Such as Artillery electronics or Communications electronics), or is it sort of "You get what your given"?

You get a choice, in that you "choose" your posting, ie, if you want to work with artillery, ask to go to an artillery unit, etc. You'll then do the appropriate course. You won't always get what you want, the military have a nice little phrase which occasionally rears it's head, "The needs of the service come first".

14. How do you branch off into Avionics/Electronics when you're doing your phase 2 training?

I've been away from Arborfield for a while - Blacklight, perhaps you can answer this one?

15. 15. Following on from 13, when you chose a course and are posted to work on that, how long do you have to work there for until you can apply to be posted elsewhere?

16. Also from 13, what different examples of courses can you think of?