REME Armourer to RAF?

Hi everyone.
Done over 20 years and am and have been a REME Armourer for my full time in the Army.
I am a SSgt and still fully fit, 45 years old and thinking what am I going to do when my time is up? Is age against me for a transfer into the RAF? Is it worth me contacting and talking to the right people? Do you know if they are recruiting in what my field is? Think it is a bit late for me to move away from weapon systems.

kimmi851

Old-Salt
If the RAF are not recruiting in the necessary year's time for you I think the Navy are still running their campaign entitled "if you need a zimmer frame - there is a career for you as a Navy PTI"

Hi everyone.
Done over 20 years and am and have been a REME Armourer for my full time in the Army.
I am a SSgt and still fully fit, 45 years old and thinking what am I going to do when my time is up? Is age against me for a transfer into the RAF? Is it worth me contacting and talking to the right people? Do you know if they are recruiting in what my field is? Think it is a bit late for me to move away from weapon systems.
The upper age limit for technicians even with no previous military experience is 48 so you'll be fine! Moreover, as a highly experienced SNCO you'll be particularly valuable and we've had older 'lateral recruits' from the Army and RN in the last few years.

PM me if you'd like the contact details of the relevant RAF Manning and lateral recruit desks at HQ Air. However, whatever you decide, good luck!

Regards,
MM

Last edited:

CC_TA

LE
I wouldn't hold to much hope that your small arms skills will be any use to the crabs. Their job is more along the Ammo Tech lines.

I've also heard that their small arms side is being binned and going civvy. (Not too sure what's happening with Ape's S/A support.)

Tony_O

Swinger
I wouldn't hold to much hope that your small arms skills will be any use to the crabs. Their job is more along the Ammo Tech lines.

I've also heard that their small arms side is being binned and going civvy. (Not too sure what's happening with Ape's S/A support.)
Good point- in NZ it went civvie. Mostly old boys club though, but still..

Thinking outside of the box look at police services. I know a lad, another kiwi, ex Armourer is now a civvie armourer for hamspire cops and about to Move to PSNI as one of their Police Range Safety Inspectors.

His job was advertised here

Last edited:

CC_TA

LE
Overseas is where the money is at. Loads in the Middle East.
Police armourer seems to be constantly changing and all constabularies are told every 6 months there will be streamlining and coordination. (Not sure if it has happened yet.)
There are plenty of jobs out there where you can use your armourer skills - Google 'Railway People' and take your pick.

As you've shown a slight want to stay near the military might be worth looking at; DSTL, AWE, Culham, BAE, etc. They are always looking for engineers/managers/tinkers.

Good luck.

Hi everyone.
I'm well out of the loop but the trade's been done over to a degree, lost EOD to the Army and less to do all round. I'd make a call but be sure it's what you want to do.

Latest Threads