REME and RE closed?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Sapper2b, May 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Had my final interview befor selection and was basicly told REME and RE are closed and are no longer taking new recruits, is this true?
  2. Most of Army is fully manned so would hazard a guess that your recruiter may well be telling you the truth.
  3. heard of people that have completed ADSC recently and are starting training next year for the RE as they are chockers at the moment.
  4. You don't want to join the RE cos it's rats, fella. Jokes aside it tends to be the popular choice but don't let yourself get led astray to join up any sooner, stick by your guns! Or just an idea but it could possibly be faster to join something else and transfer (saying your alternative job isn't the one), however it can be a lengthy process too but surely less than a year or 2
  5. Bahahahahahahaha!!!

Wait, what? You are serious? Or is this the Army version of fully manned where because they have 30,000 drivers more than required they are "fully manned". :)
  6. Can't speak for trogs I guess!! :p
  7. mental, can't see them closing shop!

glad I started applying when i did then!
  8. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

FWIW the Infantry have stopped accepting new recruits until September. Those already training are still going to regiments, but no one new.
  9. The REME nor any other capbadge will be ceasing recruiting, they are however limited to the amount of new recruits they can squeeze through the factory. The trade schools can only put out a certain volume of trained soldiers each year.

You wouldn't be happy if you passed out of phase 1 then had to wait 6-12-18 months for a trade course.

If you want a certain trade then be prepared to wait for it, if it's what you want to do, it will be worth it.
  10. Christ they can have my job if it gets me out 6 months sooner. :p
  11. Blimey mate who would sweep the shop floor if you got out sooner :p
  12. Is this thread true?
  13. I've not swept the shop floor in months :p

Honestly I'm afraid what might jump out at me these days.
  14. IMO the problem is not so much being fully manned but the figures being frigged to match the actual men on the ground. Couple of years back the army was quite a few (tens of) thousands undermanned so our wonderful liabour gobment messed around with numbers and then declared that we were close to fully manned.
    What this ConLib gobment need to do is raise the numbers back to pre Liabour and admit we are undermanned but that recruiting is healthy.
    Or is that just too obvious? :)
  15. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

You can still apply for RE. Some trades may have long waiting times, but it will be worth the wait.