REME and Army PDRs

Discussion in 'REME' started by twoicee, Jan 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So, Who is using their PDR to record their qualifications and experience then?

2. You're having a laugh!

I'm sure in the first couple of pages it states 'A soldier can put as much or as little effort as they want, however commanders are encouraged to get the soldier to keep them up to date.' (Words to that effect.)

Just keep all your qualifications in a wallet and your PDR in its wrapper. One lad bought his PDR to Careers transition workshop and said it would help at job interviews – Bollox!!! Just write a good CV! Put it in with your certificates and type a list of all the qualifications, dates, grades, etc, etc and keep that on at the front of the folder for ref purposes. Keep copies of your CV and scans of your certificates on disc in the folder to send off to whoever needs them.

(Keep updating your CV when any of the info on it changes – good practice, you never know when you’re gonna get caught or decide to leave.)

CC_TA :lol:

3. Think that there is a lack of resolve from the higher echelons here. Although it is a PERSONAL Development Record, there needs to be a grown up input. There was talk a long time ago in a regt I served with to have them inspected every time a soldier's interview took place but this fell apart when I took mine to an interview with the CO and he said "What have you bought that for?"

There are no updates for the new CREWMAN 2000 structures on the ARMYNET or Army website (as they say there will be). The link is here: LINK but they were last updated Aug 2001. Not including C2K - very slick. Even I remember that they were the big thing but they are now convinently forgotten about - I believe that they need to be brought back into the spotlight.

I also believe that these were created by the REME - how are they for you??

Personally I use mine to store all my reports, OJARS, useful docs relevant to my career and phone numbers for MCM div.

GBTD

4. Army PDR is supposed to be checked on CLM courses (Jnr and Snr) by ETS staff.
    If not up to date then you are "encouraged" to do so. Even if it is just section 7.

5. Yeh right. Haven't seen mine in years. Last sighted in a Q mans office waiting to be updated

6. Don't feel left out guys - this total malaise is endemic throught the Army!

7. I use mine to hold certs, CRs, Record of appointment and PDR inserts from courses. It has helped during my transfer to Aus thing, the PDR inserts especially. Mind you, I did get them on floppy disk from TDT, the hard copies were used when I joined my eng institute.

Don't write 'em off, lots of organizations use them - especially if you're staying in engineering when you leave the Corps. I guess most of you could bin them now with no effect on your future careers eh :)

8. Nige, GBTD,

Thanks for that :D

I think that we need to tell them how to make it better and more user friendly!!

That said, I know a fair number of the Reems are using it. Saw some Inf with it too, young guys were quite keen to get some evidence of work they were doing.

9. Due to being charged with implementing DES at my last unit (and what a joy that was), I have become depressingly familiar with the Army PDR. I believe it was originally designed as a flimflam piece of window dressing to push the Army IIP myth, and is far to fluffy and non-specific to be much use to the REME Tradesman. On the other hand the REME PDR was a flimflam piece of window dressing to push the REME TQ myth, and so is directly applicable to a REME career progression. Pity it was discontinued really. I use mine to store all my "I love me" quals and cack. However both items make very good bookends.

10. TMW,

I always liked your part of the world.

Perhaps I need an advert, something along the lines of:

Wanted, useful suggestions for PDRs, no reasonable offer will go unpunished! :twisted:

12. Nige has right idea. PDRs can be fine tuned just before you get out but job descriptions should be kept from each unit especially if the job inolves different experiences (those that bear repeating that is!!) Also used mine for civ engineering quals especially the personal development plan bits.

13. Pile of sh1te in my opinion, tried to use it when I got out, once, just fargin once!!!!!!!!!

14. Well, what can I say: you put shite in, you get shite out. Nige has it right, it is your PDR and it shows details of your career. Jobman can help if you are looking :D

15. A pdr is useful to store all your certs and stuff. really handy if your clerk is a tosser and loses all record