REME - alternative names

Discussion in 'REME' started by gunnerharding, Jun 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello mates,

I was wondering if you can help me? I run a business selling embroidered badges, mugs and stickers and the like and I am designing a new car sticker for REME and need to know what you would call yourselves.

For example as an ex RHA man, I am a Gunner and I know that RE is Sapper, so is there a name that you would use that is non derogatory and not crude as these are on display to the general public!!

The message I am looking to use is "Proud to Have Served as a ............"

Veterans Embroidered Badges
  2. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I would instantly say "Spanner", but probably not....

Recy Mechs are Recy Mechs, VMs are VMs, etc, but I've never heard of a general one that covers all Trades - apart from "you scruffy bastard" or similar from various CSMs/RSMs etc.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Crafty? Gentleman of the craft? Black-handed, beer swilling legend.
  4. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

Proud to have been a...

"Gun Fitter"
    "Air Tech" (or Greenie or Blackie)
    "Steam REME"

Someone once said (in basic training) we are the Top 10% of the British Army. Although having met some doughnuts over the years, I can't help thinking that figure was plucked out of the air a little.

But if it's mugs / embroided emblems etc that you're after - one the 1*s use as a kind of Corps motto is "Keeping the punch in the Army's fist".
  5. "Proud to have been a functioning alcoholic" should cover it for most of us
    • Like Like x 7
  6. "Proud to have missed Tranche 3 redunancy"

"3 Tranches down 1 to go"
    • Like Like x 2
  7. We had callsign "Bluebell" with RWF.
  8. REME - Keeping Fit Kit in the Hands of the Abuser
  9. Everyone in RRF LAD in the late 90's was known as Ken by all members of the RRF. **** knows where that came from.
  10. A Member of God's Corps!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. very novel.....did they also have messenger pigeons who could tap dance in morse?
  12. REME - You Bend 'em; We Mend 'em

(old Radar Tech)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 3

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

...member of the anti-tank platoon" according to one embittered RTR NCO in 1986.
    • Like Like x 4