Rem 700

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by ugly, Apr 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I have the chance of a cheap rem 700 as a donor rifle for conversion from 22-250 into something useful. Does anyone know if the standard .308 action length is ok for a .30 cal in a 55mm case?
    I'm not looking to buy something decent, just a test bed so dont bother trying to sway me I just want info on action length.
    Edited to add that the bullet will be a standard 150 grain (at the mo) Sierra game king type!
    I'm more for accuraccy testing and feeding from the mag to make the testing easier!

2. you thinking of necking up 6.5x55 to .30 ??? now thats an interesting idea, hmm, an 'improved .308', I like it.
    you might have length plobs with the short action, but there is a few spare millimeters there, nothing that seating the projie back a bit wouldn't solve anyway, I cant think why it shouldn't work.
    thing to do is make up some dummy or tester rounds, whack the tube off and see if you can get them to feed.

wildcatting is fun.

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I have the slot on my ticket already, with modern poweders a shorter .30 than the 06 and the 7mm Mauser may be interesting! I have dies that will do the job and its not a mil caliber so I can take it to France for Boar!

4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Take a look at some of the typical French hunting calibres offered here:

http://www.frankonia.fr/shop/Munitions%20de%20chasse/_/cpage/6/cid/5328/categorylist.html

Interestingly enough I am thinking of doing the same thing - making a boar rifle out of a Remy 700 short action!

Edit:
    At the moment I am leaning towards 7mm08 as I have the dies and there are bizillions of bullet choices....

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I had so much 7.5 brass left over when I sold my MAS 36 and also the original batches of necked out 6.5 swede brass that I figured I could build a rifle to suit!

6. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

You may have a small problem if your brass is stamped in a mil calibre that does not match the calibre listed in your EFP, and on the barrel of your gat.....

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I will strike through the brass and the barrel will be stamped 7.62 x 55.

8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Sorted.

You going on a commercial bloodbath or a private trip? :D

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I was invited to a private estate do a year or ten ago and didnt have anything suitable. Not being a fan of borrowing rifles so I put it off. Now I am in a position to be different. I wonder how my Rigby sits as it isnt stamped at all with any calibre and the ammo is all 7mm Mauser?

10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Well it will have to be listed as something in your EFP - that is what officials will check and also against the serial number.
    Problem seems to be some people in authority have now figured out how easy it is to swap a barrel - plenty of .222 Steyr AUG's and AR15's around in some parts - worryingly Mr Le Pen's heartland just over the hills...
    Personnally I don't have an issue with the regulations for cat 1 armes - recommendation from your shooting federation and proof of attendance, proof you own a safe and doctors certificate....just went through it to get an SLR.

If you can list the calibre in your EFP as 7 x (something non mil) you will be fine - I saw an L42A1 for sale in calibre .307 recently..... 8O

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The conditions for meeting French Cat 1 regs are onerous to solely sporting shooters from the UK. I havent been a member of a national shooting org for a long time, I am keeper stalker member of the NGO and I dont shoot with the one club I am a member of as they require the Bisley rip off, sorry competence crt. I dont need to shoot on a range 80 miles from home as I have plenty of ground and an open FAC!

12. that gave me a snigger.

13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

TAR is catching on as a discipline in France (TAR = Tir armes règlementaire) - basically regulation military arms B/A and Semi auto. I am already passing info back and forth with the German BDS (who shoot military style disciplines) and would expect some reciprocal competitions in the future which might simplify the process.
    I can bring my French ticket SLR to Germany and shoot on the BDS 300mtr range near Mannheim without any drama, and have had no issue bringing a German ticket 6.5x55 Mauser to France - range shooting though.
    Never heard of anyone trying to use a mil calibre for a hunting visit - but I bet plenty of 308 shooters have tried/done so - I will have a sniff about.

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Cheers, would the French understand .275 Rigby?

15. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Well it certainly would not appear on the elusive (never managed to find a validated version) list of military calibres :D

Strangly .338 Lapua Mag is fine though 8O