Relocation to Isle of wight due to job prospect

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by TurtleHead, Mar 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TurtleHead

TurtleHead Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Hi all, just looking for some general information,
    i have the opportunity to relocate to the isle of wight due to a job opportunity. does anybody know what life is like on the isle of wight, job opportunities for my wife, cost of living, standard of living (the likelihood to get raped by backwards island savages)

The only knowledge i have is of holidaying there as a child.
    any help would be great

Many Thanks

2. Were you related to your wife prior to your marriage?

If not, you we be shunned as an outsider.
  3. TurtleHead

unfortunately, we were not related prior to marriage but we do look strikingly similar!!! which goes to say i have tits!!!
  4. Come on down.........

Fresh meat always welcome!
    [there are still areas missionairies are still to conquer].
  5. Have you been sentenced then?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. TurtleHead

Just bored of my current situation, fancy doing something completely different in a different location, and from what i have seen, house prices appear to be cheaper, plus the wages are more
  7. The other half is from the IOW but managed to escape. Rest of family still there and when I was in the resetlement phase, I was warned that it has the highest level of unemployment in the South East. So whilst you may have a job to go to, your missis or kids might find it difficult. Both my brother in law and his wife have good jobs but their kids are finding it difficult. Some of his work colleagues live in Southampton and Portsmouhth and commute (via ferry) to keep the families on the safer side of the Solent which may be a consideration for you. Good luck with the job
  8. TBH I only went there once doing a BAC task. It seemed nice enough. Pubs were OK and plenty of totty in the summer. As for the rest, jobs etc. I have no idea.

I do know that a number of years ago they found a stowaway in the IOW ferry's chief engineers cabin. She told police that she had been there a week and that the CE had told her the ship was going to America.

The story may not be true.
  9. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Going to IoW is like stepping back to the 1950s and not always in a good way! :)

House prices are cheap, but that is because it is an Island so most other stuff is not cheap, especially the ferry prices (unless you want to travel at 2am when they can be cheaper).

Remember there are two types of people on IoW:

10. Known locally as 'The South Island', it just really isn't worth visiting other than as an over night stop in the marina and for a quick few in the Pier View. Otherwise called the 'Pile of Shite', it is devoid of character and roads. Houses may be cheap but crossing the Solent isn't. Beyond Cowes it resembles one large suburban council estate and the natives are odd and some of them have a penchant for garlic flavoured icecream.
  11. Now be fair, they're expanding their tastes, IOW now has a 'chilli farm'......otherwise known as a big greenhouse with chilli plants in it! The chilli lager is fun when you empty your son's Stella can and refill it with the aforementioned before taking it out to him on a hot day ^^
    • Like Like x 1