Relocation Leave?

I know the rules on relocation leave have been updated recently.

Can anyone confirm what the amount of relocation leave you get now for a posting, from one BFG unit to another BFG unit.

Cheers.

10 days for all moves. To be taken from the receiving unit.

Only if you go to an Army Unit, RAF/RN lead Tri Service Units do not allow the 10 days for inter theatre moves, certainly not in the UK, they allow 1 day travel, that's it.

You can try and negotiate with your new unit and your current unit to see if they will allow the leave to be taken before you arrive, otherwise, yep, the recieving unit takes the hit after your LTA, seems daft to me, surly you need the leave to relocate, not after you have relocated, oh well, there you go.

Regards

LJS

I thought that the 1 day move to Tri-Service units had been sorted out as we are now working to Tri-Service Regs.

Oh no, they, that is the RN and the RAF did not sign up to this army policy on it's inception, nor have they to date, it's a huge bone of contention with my RAF and RN counterparts, so we dipped in there, have a look at the JSP on Leave, I think it's there, if not, there is a policy letter floating about from 2006, I can't remember the originator at the moment.

Makes a balls of Tri-Service agreements then.

LongJohnSilver said:
Oh no, they, that is the RN and the RAF did not sign up to this army policy on it's inception, nor have they to date, it's a huge bone of contention with my RAF and RN counterparts, so we dipped in there, have a look at the JSP on Leave, I think it's there, if not, there is a policy letter floating about from 2006, I can't remember the originator at the moment.
Just had a booty posted to my place, and is getting his 10 days from us.

No complaints from him.

The other 2 Services personel who come into an army unit fall under our rules, in the same way as when we get posted to an RAF/RN lead unit fall under their policy. This is also detailed in said policy letter.

Oh OK.

Makes a balls of having Tri-Service Regulations then.

(I'll get there in the end!)

Yep I compleatly agree, they, that is the other 2 services, interpret, seek amendment or outside regulation, to suit their needs (cos the JSP's do not suit their working ethos), 3 services with completly different roles, Tri Service regulations across the board, in a total purple environment will not work, at this point in time we all differ to much.

Sailors cannot take 10 days relocation on assignment to a ship, can you imagine, sorry skipper, you cannot sail, the new XO is on 10 (working days) relocation.

LongJohnSilver said:
Sailors cannot take 10 days relocation on assignment to a ship, can you imagine, sorry skipper, you cannot sail, the new XO is on 10 (working days) relocation.
Always thought that the gaining unit taking the hit was barking, but this quote does really put it into perspective. The JSP needs to be rewritten to say losing unit as this is just causing animosity between employer and employee.

Being cynical, I see it as another 10 days leave that you cannot take.

CH

LongJohnSilver said:
The other 2 Services personel who come into an army unit fall under our rules, in the same way as when we get posted to an RAF/RN lead unit fall under their policy. This is also detailed in said policy letter.
LJS, my unit isn't an Army unit, but all relocation leave from and too the unit falls under the receiving unit.

Confused? Good not just me then.

ChickenHeart said:
Always thought that the gaining unit taking the hit was barking, but this quote does really put it into perspective. The JSP needs to be rewritten to say losing unit as this is just causing animosity between employer and employee.

Being cynical, I see it as another 10 days leave that you cannot take.

I'm a JPA Virgin so excuse my ignorance - How can you even apply for this leave when it will have to be OK'd by your new boss at a unit you're not at yet??? 8O

You are also stuffed if you get posted to a long course. Obviously you cant take leave as the course will have started and the Assignment order / CJIs will have the start of the course date on it.

Which leaves you to try negotiating some time off from the losing unit before you go, and they are under no obligation to do so and will therefore give you the pill. 8O

I understand this policy change was driven by ATRA, now ARTD. They were fed up with recruits, still nominally on their books, commiting offences and therefore making them look bad on the stats!

Consider the scenario: Pte X goes on leave after ITC Catterick for a couple of weeks, full of beer vuchers . Commits an offence, is arrested and charged, yet is still appears on ATRA's books and is therefore their admin problem, when really ITC has waved them good bye and good riddance.

The whole issue of this relocation leave is symptomatic of a wider problem. JSPs being written and then being over ridden by " single service regulations". FFS, its ether a JSP or it isn't!

PS: My heartfelt commiserations to anyone posted to a JS unit! At least you'll shine and be able to gang up with the ships cat (Navy type) and pick on the "few".

Incidentally, it is the "Few's " official 90th birthday on 1 Apr 08. How appropriate!!!!!!! Plus they all have to wear their equivalent of No.2 Dress, their No. 1s. For us "pongos" as the call us, I suggest a full risk assessment and the issue of IPE, i.e. safety googles! There's gonna be a whole lot of buttons under strain that day!!!!!!

LongJohnSilver said:
I know, it's barking, but that's what the Regs say, the purpose of relocation leave is to relocate, why would you need it after you have relocated.
The get out clause is that it is to be negotiated between units (like that will ever go smoothly).

I agree that they got it so very wrong, there was absolutely nothing wrong with being granted Embarkation/Disembarkation leave (as was) and not being TOS of your new unit until the day you started work.

Has it got something to do with what budget pays for Hotels, travel claims etc (genuine question) ?

At the very least it would have made more sense that each unit took the hit for a week each. This would allow the posted soldier a week to sort himself / family and accommodation / quarter at one end and move in in good order at the other end.