Relocating to Oz / NZ

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by Rarden_reaper, Aug 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I'm seriously considering starting a better life down under and wonder if anyone could give me any serious advice.
    I am aware that there is a points system in effect with regards to qualifications, age, education etc.

I'm 29 ex army, have a reasonable education, and work as a level 3 advanced fitness instructor certified with REP's, and have no criminal convictions.

Can anyone tell me if my trade is recognised, and what the pay for this industry is like over there?

I'm aware this thread has probably been done hundreds of times but would appreciate any serious advice....

2. Firstly before relocating, if you can, visit both places for as long as you possibly can (time spent of recce is seldom wasted as the man said). I was in the lucky position to spend 3 months in NZ and a month in Oz - it helped me to an informed opinion, especially once the cosmetics were wiped away and I got a taste of what ordinary life was like in both countries (cost of living, culture, etc).

Also you meet lots of interesting folk and have a chance to do a bit of networking, which always helps in whatever you decide do next.

Good luck

3. Thanks to all concerned for your helpfull information.

4. NZ has a similar points system to Oz and you can find details on the NZ govt site here. Also, make use of some of the expat sites such as British Expats or move2nz as there are always lots of people willing to advise. British Expats has quite a few ex-Forces people on the forums who may be able to answer specific questions.

How 'ex-' ex-Forces are you? Would you consider joining the Oz or NZ forces? This may be one option for you if your points score is low.

Have to agree totally with Fozzy that it's very important to spend as much time as possible in the country to get a feel for it.

Anyway, Good Luck!

SFB

5. From the BBC today 16/08/07

Australia targets British workers

Australia is making it easier for English speakers to migrate
    British workers will find it easier to move Down Under when Australia changes its immigration policy next month.
    New rules mean an extra five points will be awarded for passing a standard English language test under Australia's points-based immigration system.

Australia has raised its annual target figure for skilled workers coming in to the country - from 97,000 to 102,500.

Among the workers needed are teachers, doctors, accountants, plumbers, nurses, carpenters, dentists and IT managers.

'Lacking workers'

A total of 120 points is enough to fast-track a move to Australia under the country's immigration system, which awards points for factors such as youth, ability to speak languages, skills and experience.

The country is throwing its doors open to huge numbers of skilled and experienced British people

Chris Cook
    Australian Visa Bureau

Australian Visa Bureau spokesman Chris Cook said: "The Australian government realises it is lacking workers in many professions it desperately needs to fill, so the country is throwing its doors open to huge numbers of skilled and experienced British people."

He added the Australian government was looking for more immigrants than ever before.

Andrew James of the Emigration Group, which helps English-speaking people move to Australia and New Zealand, told BBC News: "Australia is looking to tailor the policy to suit their needs.

"That means trying to attract people away from the obvious places, like Sydney, Perth, Melbourne, and trying to direct them to what they call the regions, which doesn't mean living in the back of nowhere."

The number of British people emigrating to Australia increased from 8,749 in 2001/2 to 23,290 in 2005/6.

6. I left the army in 01, believe me I have considered appling for the Oz, kiwi armed services, unfortunatley i have developed epilepsy, although it is controlled with medication and I have my driving licence, i believe their conditions of entry are quite stringent. I wouldn't want to suffer a fit whilst on range with a gimpy!

7. NZ is cool - the epilepsy may count against you or you may get a waiver. Give it a go - I've been out here 12 months now but I found that the process took over 18 mths with medical issues to get past. If you don't have a job offer then you need at least an HNC or better to get the points for permanent residency - you might better to go for a work permit. At 29 I think you might just scrape into the casual work permit scheme - I was way too old for that.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/workingholiday/unitedkingdomworkingholidayscheme.htm

To be eligible

You must:

* usually be permanently living in the United Kingdom – this means you can be temporarily visiting another country when you lodge your application
    * have a British passport that‘s valid for at least three months after your planned departure from New Zealand
    * be at least 18 and not more than 30 years old
    * not bring children with you
    * hold a return ticket, or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket**
    * have a minimum of NZ$350 per month of stay available funds to meet your living costs while you’re here
    * meet our health and character requirements
    * be coming to New Zealand to holiday, with work being a secondary intention for your visit
    * not have been approved a visa or permit under a Working Holiday Scheme before.

You could always talk to these guys http://www.getmilitaryfit.co.nz/Join%20the%20GMF%20Team

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/worktoresidence/

Best of luck

kev

8. Hi
    I moved to NZ two years ago now and dont regret it one bit, I lodged my expression of interest start of Feb and gained residency early May, but this was down to luck with the system as much as anything as I was told it could take six to twelve months.

To my mind the benefits of NZ are:
    It's the size of the UK (roughly) Oz is made up of so much nothing.
    There is nothing over here that will actively try to kill you.
    Outside of Auckland and more so in the South Island life is so much more laid back than England.
    If you are an outdoors type of person there is just so much to do.
    I believe for example that there are over 10 ski fields within an hour of Christchurch, mountains, rivers, lakes and more.
    Living is cheaper than the UK, petrol currently $1.59 = roughly £0.63 a litre
    bottle of decent beer from supermarket $1.00 = £0.40 :D

Downside to NZ
    They havent heard of central heating or double glazing, woodburners and ice on the inside of windows all round.
    Dont come here expecting to make lots of money unless you want to live in Auckland, and why would anyone want to live there.

But as people have said get over here for an extended holiday to check it out.
    Best of luck