Reloading addiction

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by stoatman, May 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, my name is stoatman, and I am an addict.

I got my first reloading press for my 19th birthday so that I could load 7.62 x 54 and .303, since cost was an issue for me back then.

I then expanded into loading 38 special during my student years, often annoying my housemates by reloading in the living room of our shared house.

Once I became a grown-up and purchased a hornady progressive press, my addiction took a turn for the worse. I rapidly started loading thousands and thousands of rounds a year. To feed my habit I bought more reloading dies, more presses, more powder measures, and some pretty expensive case preparation tools just so that I could reload even faster.

But my addiction didn't stop there -- I bought a casting furnace and now cannot bear the thought of purchasing factory pistol bullets, and I even cast my own rifle bullets.

My addiction has reached a point where I no longer necessarily reload for cost or for improved accuracy (although those 2 things do play a large role), rather just because I can. For instance, what is the objective point in casting, loading and shooting 223 Remington when I'm using hundreds of pounds worth of equipment to do it and am happy as a pig in muck getting comparable accuracy to factory FMJ? And, when I can load for the same rifle with jacketed match bullets and get sub-half MOA accuracy? Because I enjoy it in a perverted way, and my addiction is now just self-reinforcing.

Am I the only one with this "problem"? Or are some of the rest of you as sad as me? Do you look forward to shutting yourself in your shed with a tray of primers, a can of powder, a handful of bullets and a handful of cases, and the radio on some inoffensive middle-of-the-road station?
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 1
  2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Personnally I find it too time consuming as I am far too busy, especially .577 snider with wads and semolina etc. which I will only do again this winter.
    Necessary evil for me.
  3. I gave up on blackpowder and its associated reloading -- too much hassle and time for ultimately too small a number of rounds and too poor a result. I went down to light Nitro loads for a while, but even that wasn't a lot better.

My dabbling in the black stuff has led me to the conclusion that you've got to be a fanatic; it's really got to be your thing (as cast bullets for Nitro cartridges is for me) otherwise you'll get fed up and drop it.
  4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I think having a beard helps - I might try that this winter.......
  5. at least people expect you to be smelly in that case...

I currently have a bit of a strop on against inaccurate rifles, so the blackpowder stuff has been relegated to long-term wardrobe storage to be sold off at a profit later. I'm also seriously considering getting rid of the remaining old military stuff and taking over the Remington 700 that belongs to my wife when she gives up her licence later in the year (sad, I know, but when you can only have 5 licensed firearms life starts to become too short for faffing around. Now, if I had a beautiful as-new no4 mkII that behaved itself as it should, it would probably be a different matter, but I'm on my 2nd no.4 over here and neither of them have behaved properly even after bedding, although the current one shoots really well off a rest with exceptionally low velocity cast bullets at 1100 ft./s, which is too slow to really be of any use, and the groove diameter is too great for Jacketed to shoot properly in it either).
  6. (Sympathetic applause from crowd :clap: , Stoaty sits, C_M stands)

Welcome Stoatman,

I feel your pain and I wish to share my story too...

My name is Croque_Monsieur, I started reloading when I got my first antique rifle (Swiss Vetterli 1871), whilst I have dabbled in the techno-sorcery that is nitro reloading, my obsession is with black powder reloading, it simply isn't enough to look at these old rifles and pistols, I have to fire them.
    Dealing with centerfire rifles wass easy enough although the cost of obselete caliber reloading dies goes up and is often accompanied by obscenely large bullet molds, but then came hand rolling individual combustible cartridges, making needlefire combustible cartridges, hand-rolling card sabots for Dreyse rifles, finally came the obselete large rimfire rifles, surely there is no way of making them bark right? WRONG!

I soon found myself shut in my shed with a drill press and a box of CF cases, drilling out, threading and plugging the primer pocket and redrilling an off-center hole for 6mm starter pistol blanks to get these old RF rifles going again.

Since then I have found other loonies with my/our obsession... we are no alone brother...we are not alone
  7. [​IMG] [​IMG]

anoraks on fire!

ok. I admit. I too own re-loading gear from way back, but in my defence I only bother to re-load for when I want serious accuracy from my H-Bar rifles, the wildcat (my 25/06) and target shooter (.308)
    to be honest if the factory stuff gets 1.5 moa @ 100 meters with most of my hunting gats, thats well good enough for me.
  8. Very OT, but is there really a 5 firearm limit in Holland?

9. You should have seen the gun nuts at the show in Abergavenny, not only a reloading addict but a gunsmithing nut as well, he had some of the finest home made's I have ever seen and his 4 bore punt gun was a real work of art
  10. the hoops to jump through to get more than 5 on a sports shooting licence are too much of a pain.

On a hunting license you can have 7, and in principle you can have both a hunting license and a sports shooting licence, however the time, energy, and cash required to maintain both means that very few people manage to.

Collectors licenses are rather more liberal, however the time, effort, and money to get one in the 1st place is again prohibitive for most.

However, antiques can be fired off-ticket (only the ammunition goes on), and calibre conversion sets/top halves etc don't count. Come back to me in 10 years when I have at least 10 different uppers in probably 5 different calibres for my AR 15 !
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Ah yes, I started as BAE had flogged all of the .303. I also had a nasty case of .455 Webley which lead to other pistols and revolvers. I can load for all of my calibres now (rifles for spoorting/stalking) and the only calibre I dont do much of is 6.5 x 55 as I had a good supply of sp by privi which is good enough for stalking. Oddly enough its my best calibre results wise although the dies for my 7 x 57 arrived today. Cases in the tumbler now. I always use green, RCBS dies and Redding Boss press! I have a combination electronic scales and powder throw and the new multi caliber priming tool. Write ups to follow on the blog!
    I am an addict but true to form an idle one!
  12. ancienturion

ancienturion LE Book Reviewer

Yep, totally addicted. I'm convinced I can load better (and cheaper) in .223, 6.5/.284, .308 and .357. But then I sometimes think about the cost of the time I put in - and carry on anyway. But not in the shed. I actually have a proper little room to play reloading in.
    Sheds are for doing other wonderful things in.
  13. its all going a 'Reloading in my Shed' type thread next.

talk about matching anoraks.
  14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Classic FM and a bottle of scotch, kills the boredom on the case prep side!
  15. Another wonderful evening spent in the shed last night -- I prepared my final batch of bulk 223 cases (as many as the tumbler holds, a good few kilos, probably 4-500) through the motorised trim on the rock chucker and then through a full-length size die on its own on the progressive. Probably took me 2 hours, Max.

I also tried out the new ch4d 300 whisper size die for the Dillon motor trimmer: 223 goes in, 300 whisper comes out! Magic! The only further prep required is deburring and chucking through a conventional full-length size.

This evening's entertainment will be 100 rounds of cast 223 on the progressive press with thrown charges (N110 is fine enough that with cast it doesn't make any sense to weigh individual charges. I tested it last week and the results were indistinguishable).

And then the circle of reloading begins again! Casting... tumbling... size/trim... clean... load... shoot... rinse and repeat