Religious beliefs and dietary requirements of the Gurkha

Discussion in 'Gurkhas' started by EX_STAB, Jun 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whilst contemplating the range of ration packs available for different religious groups in the British Army it occurred to me that I had no notion of the religion and associated requirements of Gurkha troops. Clearly I could just google it but I thought perhaps asking here would be a better idea.

I don't need to know this for any particular reason but I have always held the Gurkhas in high regard for their great reputation and perhaps because as a young boy I was taken to the Gurkha museum and still have a cap badge I was given there.

I hope this doesn't appear to be a patronising or stupid question. Nothing could be further from my intent.

Best wishes,

Ex STAB

Speelling eedit.
  2. Whilst serving with 28 Sqn QOGTR, they normally dragged out their own chefs who would knock up a decent curry in quick time. As long as you didn't mind picking out the chicken feet and bones, it was all good.

On tour they had their religious holiday (apologies I cannot remember the name) and they sacrificed a goat and it too was good eating.

In summary I prefered to eat their food as apposed to the crap that was cooked by our chefs.
  3. As long as there not too far away from the gamblers they seem pretty happy.
  4. ###Edited for being a numpty and posting on the wrong thread###

5. EH???
  6. Taxi......
  7. Post edited appropriately!
  8. I award you seven days curried goat.

March out.
  9. I seem to recall that the goat was sacrificed (orf with its 'ead) on the feast of Divhali, it being a Hindu feast and all.

I can't ever recall there being too many philosphical discussions about religion or religous differences/similarities; though there was always a keen interest girls, boys, other below-the-navel stuff. 8O

I also seem to recall the first line of a favourite Divhali song, where one of the 'pretty' boys would dress as a girl (a job thoroughly detested, as I seem to recall :oops: ,) and sing this song...

Lauri Kho Rheli Mai...
  10. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

There are provisions for Gurkha rations, in fact the designation "Gurkha Rations" is on an individual's UNICOM printout along with the appropriate Yes or No qualifier.

11. Rayc

Rayc RIP

Gurkhas being Hindus do not eat beef. Though many Hindus do eat beef these days.

The religious ceremony where they slaughter with one stroke (any more strokes is bad luck and if that happens, then the chaps face is smeared with the blood) is called Dasai or Durga Puja* (Goddess of Strength).

Interestingly, Gurkhas can eat anything without any qualms. Pork is their favourite, though the higher caste would say that they don't eat pork. They eat everything of a goat after they singe the goat to get rid of the hair.

They stuff coagulated blood with spices into intestines to make a sausage and fry the same. It is very tasty as a snack with Rakshi (Rum).

*According to the narrative from the Devi Mahatmya of the Markandeya Purana, the form of Durga was created as a warrior goddess to fight a demon. The demon's father Rambha, king of the demons, once fell in love with a water buffalo, and Mahishasur was born out of this union. He is therefore able to change between human and buffalo form at will (mahisha means "buffalo"). Through intense prayers to Brahma, Mahishasura had the boon that he could not be defeated by any man or god. By virtue of this power, he invaded the gods, who went for help to the supreme trinity (Brahma, Vishnu, and Rudra), but Mahishashura defeated all of the gods including the trinity themselves. He unleashed a reign of terror on earth, heaven and the nether worlds. Eventually, since only a woman could kill him, the trinity bestowed a dazzling beam of energy upon the Goddess Trinity, transforming her into the goddess, Durga. Her form was blindingly beautiful with three lotus-like eyes, eight powerful hands, lush black hair with beautiful curls, a red-golden glow from her skin and a quarter moon on her forehead. She wore a shiny oceanic blue attire emitting fierce rays. Her ornaments were carved beautifully of gold, with ocean pearls and precious stones embedded in it. Her face was sculpted by Shiva, torso by Indra, breasts by Chandra (the moon), teeth by Brahma, bottom by the Earth, thighs and knees by Varuna (water), and her three eyes by Agni (fire). Each god also gave her their own most powerful weapons, Rudra's trident, Vishnu's discus, Indra's thunderbolt, Brahma's kamandal, Kuber's gada, etc. Himalayas gifted her a fierce whitish golden lion. On the end of the 8th and beginning of the 9th day of waxing moon, Chanda and Munda came to fight the goddess. She turned blue with anger and goddess Chamunda leaped out of her third eye. Her form was the most powerful one with 3 red eyes, blood-filled tongue and dark skin; who finally killed the twin demons with her sword. This form of the divine goddess is worshipped during the sandhikshan of Durga Puja festival, as sandhi/chandi puja. Finally on the tenth day of waxing moon, goddess Durga killed Mahishasura with her trident.

The word Shakti, meaning strength, reflects the warrior aspect of the goddess, embodying a traditional male role. She is also strikingly beautiful, and initially Mahishasura tries to marry her. Other incarnations include Annapurna and Karunamayi (karuna = kindness).
  12. Thanks RayC. I had read of the Dasai ceremony in "Bugles, and a tiger". Is that still carried out here?
  13. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Not in the UK anymore, I presume for animal welfare reasons. Have seen it done with a watermelon as a symbolic (and frankly piss poor) substitute.
  14. They did have a Gurkha catering school in Malaya Lines..Sek Kong, Hong Kong...many moons ago....... once amonth Brits invited to a resturant style Gurkha meals at catering school.....excellent nosh! I have been on many jungle exercises with Gurkha's ..southeast Asia.....never took Brit rations....ate Gurkha rations.....(GT ration packs)
  15. Halal and kosher slaughter are permitted so i don't see why not.