Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by public_service, Feb 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. is there a limit to how PC we can get???

On the grapevine, i've heard that the government were planning on changing the National Anthem from "God save the Queen" to "Jerusalem", because it could be offensive to people who dont believe in God.

And locally, a 10 year old got suspended from school for writing "God save the Queen" in a book, because there were non-Christians in the school. Also, the churches around my area were told by the local government to consider how many images of Jesus Christ they had in their churches, as it might offend non-believers.

Surely the 10 year old is allowed freedom of expression, and non-Christians may not go into a Christian church anyway???

I'm just curious. I just think the political correctness can be a bit extreme at times.

Anyone have a view on this?

2. Well Jeruslam would get my vote god save the queen is a dirge .The rest sounds like daily mail pc gone mad rant any evidence .
  3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Oh aye. Jerusalem will really get this nation called Britain pulling together, I don't think. :x

Once again little Engerlanders think that the national anthem only applies to Engerland. Tw@ts. There are very few churches in Scotland where you will hear Jerusalem being sung on a regular basis.

Jesus walking on England's green and pleasant shore - really :roll:

As to the comments that non-Christians are not allowed into churches, what bollox, everyone is and should be welcomed into churches, provided they show the same respect as they would expect in their own place of worship.

I hope the Churches spoken to by the local councils gave a mataphorical two fingers to the people who raised this.

PC thinking has gone mad in this country and if councils start to say 'you might offend someone' then just ask them to supply proof that this is so, otherwise - feck off cooncilor.
  4. i agree Auld-Yin

theres nothing wrong with Jerusalem being sung as a patriotic song in England. in fact im all for it.
    however i am always a little fuked off when English songs are used to represent Great Britain. we are 4 kingdoms for christs sake. get a grip :twisted:

im British and proud of it. It is far more important to me to be a Brit than it is to be Anglo/Irish. however my family is Irish and i am proud of that heritage as well.

i do not believe i would ever have joined an English Army but i am a British infantry soldier. this means i accept i will if necessary risk my life for my country when called upon to do so.My loyalty is to Britain not just England.

as for God being banned what a load of shite. most religions have a god and even atheists have to agree without one they wouldnt have an ethical standpoint.
  5. What four kingdoms?

England, Scotland = kingdoms

Wales = principality

NI = province.

6. Technically three kingdoms.

Wales is a principality. :)

Also, hear, hear!
  7. Just to be pedantic, there’s “Kingdom of Fife”!!!! So that makes it at least 3 :lol: :lol:
  8. To get it right,

all four together are The United Kingdom (singular) of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

9. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

Utter bollox! Notwithstanding the fact that ethics are relative in any society, there are millions of people in this world who have managed their ethics just fine without the influence of any anthropomorphic omnipotent sky god.

Evolutionary studies have also suggested that altruism is a selected characteristic with regards to natural selection.

You can keep your supernatural super-hero who believes in punishing all non-believers, I'll stick to believing in the intrinsic social nature of mankind.
  10. It's Sunday morning, I have a hangover that would kill a civie, and your really not helping 8O 8O
  11. I hope this applies to muslims as well meaning they can no longer have arabic text everywhere as people could find it offensive. This is utter shite, when will this fcuking political corectness stop!
  12. Seconded.... I have been a humanist for a number of years now. I positivley resent the way religion is forced upon people in thier everyday lives. I,ve no issue with people who activley follow a religion its thier life & I,ve no right to interfere. So why do these people feel they have the right to interfere in mine ?. I,m getting along just fine without a god & my kids are being bought up with a damm sight better morals than most kids in thier school. Its all just personal choice at the end of the day & people must learn to respect that.

Regards LT.
  13. Besides, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Jerusalem a religious song as well?
  14. I think public_service is looknig for the oxygen thief medal block
  15. Quality! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I take it you are a Muslim mate, if you dont know any of the words of one of the most popular Christian hymns? Although the title "Jerusalem" might have been a bit of a giveaway. Maybe you hoped it was pro-Hamas?