Religion.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by foxtrot.oscar, May 23, 2005.

?
  1. I do not know.

16.4%
  2. Does not exist.

32.7%
  3. Exists.

50.9%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is religion important to you personally?

Is it relevant (especially in the Army)?

Does the Army 'handle' the area well?

2. Oh, Adjt CUOTC; you and your email.

What have you done?

You've created a monster...

3. No.

No.

Does it matter?

4. Why thank you fas_et_gloria for the compliment.

Only brought it up to see if anyone actually cares.

The answer... seemingly not.

5. JESUS CHRIST :evil:

Where the feck are these morons coming from :roll:

6. "All these gits around us were sent from heaven above, so thank the Lord, oh thank the Lord for all his love..."

Interestingly whether you believe in God only seems to "matter" to those who don't or who aren't sure. So maybe faith is an intellectually lazy response to the problem?

The old aphorism that there are no atheists in foxholes is one that gets revisited every time things go noisy on operations or following big training accidents. There is obviously an atavistic need to believe in something beyond the physical and to put the daily round into a context beyond the purely mechanistic.

As a recent convert to Roman Catholicism I can only say that I feel terribly smug in my faith. On the down side of course I could be in for a terribly big let down in the hopefully distant future! :lol:

7. "All these gits around us were sent from heaven above, so thank the Lord, oh thank the Lord for all his love..."

Interestingly whether you believe in God only seems to "matter" to those who don't or who aren't sure. So maybe faith is an intellectually lazy response to the problem?

The old aphorism that there are no atheists in foxholes is one that gets revisited every time things go noisy on operations or following big training accidents. There is obviously an atavistic need to believe in something beyond the physical and to put the daily round into a context beyond the purely mechanistic.

As a recent convert to Roman Catholicism I can only say that I feel terribly smug in my faith. On the down side of course I could be in for a terribly big let down in the hopefully distant future! :lol:

8. I believe there's someone (thing) i/c but without having to go into it, I prefer to leave the choice to the individual as opposed to having to either convert or shout the toss with those who couldn't give a fcuk.

9. Either you believe in God or you don't. (not sure dosen't count)

Philosophically there is only one 'safe' bet...with only 4 ways that this can go...

1. If you don't believe... and there IS NO GOD...then you do not gain or lose 'eternity'.

2. If you believe... and THERE IS NO GOD...then you do not gain or lose 'eternity'.

3. If you believe... and THERE IS GOD...you gain 'eternity'.

4. If you do not believe... and THERE IS GOD...you lose 'eternity'.

('eternity' being the afterlife:immortality)

Now...let's all sing that great gospel hymnal (The Rolling Stones version)
    "TIME IS ON MY SIDE"

....lead us off there 'foxtrot.cscar'...AKA 'crusader rabbit'!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8)

10. FO, yes I do think that the forces do 'handel' it well.
    I'v seen more than a few, myself included, use a sevice for what we see it. A time to remember a mate or a difficult time.
    Or am I not getting your point?

11. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

You attempt here what is know as Pascal's Wager, the premise of which is that it is 'safer' to bet on the existence of God as the benefits and gains far outweigh that of not believing.

However if your only reason for believing in a God is 'just in case' then I fear that your faith is suspect from the off.

It also neglects to include the possibility of there being anything but the Judeo-Christian God. What if you give your life to Jehovah and then find out that Zeus is mightily cheesed off, or that whatever deity (if any) you find in the afterlife would have preferred you to be an unbeliever rather than believe in the wrong God?

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." (Stephen Roberts)

12. Of course there is a GOD and he serves in the RAMC.

13. soldier_why

My faith...is 'mine' dear chum...you can 'fear' the usual 'suspects'.

I appreciate your reference to our buddy Pascal. Now there's a dude under 'pressure'.

That fellow also had a related debate on 'vacuum'...

As for 'Paris condemnations'...in this case... might they 'suck'?

I say: "Nature abhorres an Aether quintessence...but only in Spirit".

8)

14. Thank heavens...is there any chance he could resurrect some of the poor buggers you lot hasten to an early grave, just out of fairness sake? I mean you almost kill more than the Caterers...

15. Thank heavens...is there any chance he could resurrect some of the poor buggers you lot hasten to an early grave, just out of fairness sake? I mean you almost kill more than the Caterers...