Religion and the British Press

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by yank_eyetie, Feb 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Religion is strangely treated with kid gloves - Why?? We seem to shy away from criticism and giving them the rough ride they deserve.

Also, did nobody tell this journalist that The Times is now in the Murdoch stable. What do you expect????

2. And did those feet in ancient time
    Walk upon England's mountains green
    And was the holy lamb of God
    On England's pleasant pastures seen

And did the countenance divine
    Shine forth upon our clouded hills
    And was Jerusalem builded there
    Among those dark Satanic mills

Bring me my bow of burning gold
    Bring me my arrows of desire
    Bring me my spears o'clouds unfold
    Bring me my chariot of fire

I will not cease from mental fight
    Nor shall my (my) sword sleep in hand
    'Til we have built Jerusalem
    In England's green and pleasant land
    'Til we have built Jerusalem
    In England's green and pleasant land

No point to make, not even English, just a great hymm!

3. Religion should be treated with 100% ridicule. Usually based on big fairies up in the sky, all because some people can't accept that one day they'll die and there's going to be f*** all else for them except oblivion.

Er...sorry if that was new to anyone.

4. Agreed: there's a great Jimmy Carr joke along the lines of "When I was little, I had an invisible friend that went everywhere with me, always loved me and could do magic - then I grew up and stopped believing in god."

5. I have no religious leanings. But I do wonder whether the renaissance in art could have taken place without it, and whether art could have progressed as it did if it weren't for religion.

As the guide at the Uffizi in Florence explained, renaissance art was 'the bible for poor people' - i.e. those who couldn't read.

6. some twat whining in the boring today that people only pick on christian s and that the bible gaveus some good stuff.
    true but a whole load of it is bollocks and some weird views in sex as well so fcuk off

7. Not really.

Religious bollox.

8. But with deference to a Catholic writer.

Just the one bollox.

9. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Sorry to disappoint you but it is not actually a hymn (or rather parts of the C of E do not regard it as such), and it is frequently banned from churches by idiotic clergy!

10. Tread very carefuly Gremlin or you may have the wrath of the Womens Institute upon you,,, preserves at dawn !

WW

11. Gremlin

Nope, I am fully on their side and will march alongside them, whilst flogging rockcakes and nudie calanders!!!!!

12. The WI , the nations hidden deterent...........

WW

13. Gremlin

HIDDEN????????????

Have you seen the amount of tailoring some of those tweed jackets require?