Religion and the British Press

yank_eyetie said:
Interesting column by one of the US' best religion writers.
He slams the UK press pretty hard.

http://ncrcafe.org/node/941
Religion is strangely treated with kid gloves - Why?? We seem to shy away from criticism and giving them the rough ride they deserve.

Also, did nobody tell this journalist that The Times is now in the Murdoch stable. What do you expect????

frenchperson said:
yank_eyetie said:

Religion is strangely treated with kid gloves - Why?? We seem to shy away from criticism and giving them the rough ride they deserve.

Also, did nobody tell this journalist that The Times is now in the Murdoch stable. What do you expect????
And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountains green
And was the holy lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen

And did the countenance divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills
And was Jerusalem builded there
Among those dark Satanic mills

Bring me my bow of burning gold
Bring me my arrows of desire
Bring me my spears o'clouds unfold
Bring me my chariot of fire

I will not cease from mental fight
Nor shall my (my) sword sleep in hand
'Til we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land
'Til we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land

No point to make, not even English, just a great hymm!

Religion should be treated with 100% ridicule. Usually based on big fairies up in the sky, all because some people can't accept that one day they'll die and there's going to be f*** all else for them except oblivion.

Er...sorry if that was new to anyone.

frenchperson said:
Agreed: there's a great Jimmy Carr joke along the lines of "When I was little, I had an invisible friend that went everywhere with me, always loved me and could do magic - then I grew up and stopped believing in god."

I have no religious leanings. But I do wonder whether the renaissance in art could have taken place without it, and whether art could have progressed as it did if it weren't for religion.

As the guide at the Uffizi in Florence explained, renaissance art was 'the bible for poor people' - i.e. those who couldn't read.

some twat whining in the boring today that people only pick on christian s and that the bible gaveus some good stuff.
true but a whole load of it is bollocks and some weird views in sex as well so fcuk off

But with deference to a Catholic writer.

Just the one bollox.

LtTrousersnake said:
frenchperson said:
yank_eyetie said:

And did those feet in ancient time..etc

No point to make, not even English, just a great hymm!

Sorry to disappoint you but it is not actually a hymn (or rather parts of the C of E do not regard it as such), and it is frequently banned from churches by idiotic clergy!

Tread very carefuly Gremlin or you may have the wrath of the Womens Institute upon you,,, preserves at dawn !

WW

wheelchairwarrier said:
Tread very carefuly Gremlin or you may have the wrath of the Womens Institute upon you,,, preserves at dawn !

WW
Nope, I am fully on their side and will march alongside them, whilst flogging rockcakes and nudie calanders!!!!!