Religeon question time

Discussion in 'Southern Africa' started by ugly, Jun 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Ok when you fellas Braii what fuel do you use? I've seen some wood, briquettes and pucka charcoal but rarely gas with a proper Saffa. So what is the wood you use that burns so well and seems to perform better than charcoal?

2. Have you been on the meths again?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ysterhout/hardekool = ironwood. Hard as rock and destroys an axe edge in a few strokes, but holds the heat forever. If you use charcoal, avoid the briquettes as they're made from some crappy sweeping/sawdust rubbish and bound with a kind of glue that flavours the meat.

There's a fair bit of black wattle around that gets cut up as it's an invasive species and works very well on the braai. Mopani and sekelbos also do the trick but hard to find.

4. I'd still like to violate your avatar pic.

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Possibly but the Saffa Braii does use a really efficient burning wood that seems to work as wel as charcoal if not better. I use oak if I can be arsed to wait for it to burn down but real charcoal takes some beating!

6. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Try dried cones from evergreens if you've a plentiful supply, they make good braai coals and don't taint the meat.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Bog standard pine cones? we have millions of the feckers!
    In town today and noticed a new saffer deli opened up, usual stuff on sale but he was too busy to bug so I left him alone. Inspired now to make my own Boerwoers! Apart from beef and lamb what else?

8. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Aye that's what I used.
    Common sense says one should make a test fire, see what the smoke smells like & braai a small piece of meat to ensure each type is ok to cook on, so of course I always followed squaddie logic and just cracked on with the main event.
    Never had a problem with strange tasting graze from one of these fires.

You'll find a kakhuisvol of boere recipes on the net and as with most graze good quality ingredients is essential, also remember to toast the coriander seed before lightly crushing it else it tastes just wrong.
    Game is often mixed in with other meats, but if you're making wors from any bok you'll need to add fat.
    With liver chucked into the boere it's known as 'Pofadder,' & the same mix made into small burgers & wrapped in caul fat are 'skilpadjies' (tortoises.)
    I'll send you a few I use this evening, also for droëwors if you've started your 'tong box.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pine cones don't hold the coals very long but they're easy to use for lighting the fire.

Try Hirsch spices for a boerie mix. If you can get your Saffer deli to bring them in it's a win. About four Euros a bag in this neck of the woods so prob about five times that when it gets to you, but you'll get around 70 lbs of boerie from one bag. The kameelhout mix is one of the better ones and they also do the mix for 'tong and various other bits and bobs.

Freddy Hirsch Ingredients Boerewors

As Cuts has mentioned, venison wors needs a fair bit of spek or pork fat to make it palatable. Can be dry if no fat used. Also, try playing about with the mix and adding curry or red wine/brandy. Chilis and garlic also work and a handful of cracked black pepper never hurts.

10. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

• Like Like x 2
  11. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

As are many members of the government.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Although the govt vegetables are the kind you like to throw on the fire to hear them scream, but are too poisonous to eat.

13. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Mightn't The Spear get damaged ?

• Like Like x 1
  14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Stompie Makitze is a vegan?