Reliability of European Allies

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by whitecity, Feb 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Many on ARRSE dispair at the 'reliability' of our NATO allies in Europe, and scoff at the thought of an EU Force capable of doing anything meaningful. There is more than just a little substance in this concern.

However, it would be good to also understand the perceptions of our European allies in this too. I come up against this issue on a regular basis and, frankly, I'm getting rather fed up with having to trot out the same old excuses. Consider this...

The EU has been running the military mission in Bosnia for some time now. Originally the UK was a major player, but has subsequently pulled out due to "commitments elsewhere". Kosovo could well become another EU military operation if the Ahtisaari plan is implemented - again, another location the UK has withdrawn from citing "commitments elsewhere".

Last week, the EU agreed to send a 3,700 strong force to CAR/Chad - which, if you keep up to date, has just turned a little hotter than expected. And guess what, no UK involvement beyond a staff officer. More info from this press release:

So, to sum up, three significant military operations under EU C2, and hardly a whiff of UK involvement. I know HMAF a little busy in other trouble spots, but just who is it that is the 'unreliable partner'? How will a meaningful EU force ever gain credibility, if the most potent performer always refuses to join in?

2. We have allies in Europe???
  3. European WHAT?

It feels again as if WE Stand Alone!
  4. And what would you suggest? Kosovo and Bos are currently tee-shirt tours just like Cyprus. I think we have our hands full dealing with the Stan at the moment. If it's more commitment you want, send a letter to GB and ask him why he got rid of so many troops in the middle of 2 feckin' wars!
  5. cause he (GB) is to busy giving money away to imigrant tossers.....
    to pay the guys he let go between the 2 f in wars......
  6. We do the fighting, they come when it's safe, what was the question again? EU in Chad, well genocide in no fun without spectators.
  7. .....well as long as it keeps the Germans from duffing up the French and marching through the low countries to kill Belgians......on second thoughts...... :wink:

ps: I must be out of date. Is there such a thing as an EU Force???? When did they get the keys to the armoury????
  8. what is an e u Allie .......majority are crap the french only get involved if they can run it the Germans there government rains them in all the time cloggies ..OK the rest well ...............
  9. I'm not sure the issue for me is whether they send more or not, it'd just be nice if the EU allies already there decided to do some genuine fighting.. maybe Im being too harsh. Not there yet to make a genuine informed decision yet.
  10. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

No doubting there is a lot of political push behind more EU military forces but a lot of this is ambitious pretentions. The EU as a whole (us and France included) spend more on defence than anyone except the USA but it is a collection of small forces (again apart from France, Germany and us) with lots of duplication.

The operations described are more para military than military, police actions and the Chad mission, it took longer for participants, as individual nations not the EU as a whole, to decide what to call itself than it did to start actually doing anything.

Strictly second division as it stands now

At the moment, the EU is a well armed police force
  11. Are the French not sending 1600 into S. Afgan?

Just to wind up the Bosch I think.
  12. To do what? French troops either go in without the correct mandate or go in to show face for the French Goverment prior to a major contract being agreed. Once deal signed they then seem to be unable to leave barracks and slip away into the background, leaving us or another nation to pick up the pieces (again!).
  13. Answer to question in title: None!

The Danes and the Dutch may turn up, and who knows about the Poles. The remainder, frankly, I'd be happy to have on the 'other side'.

PS: Ooops! I hope I have not queered T. Bliar's bid to be President of the European Soviet Union. It needs someone to bring it down; to ensure it implodes; - and T.Blair is just the person.
  14. These small policing actions are pretty much all EU countries apart from Britain and France can really handle. Britain is doing the real hot work!
  15. Seems the majority feel the rest of Europe should follow where Britain leads - regardless of their own opinions on the matter.

For me, I feel an alliance is a two-way street. We're now asking them to do something that wasn't on the cards when they signed up, we didn't consult them before steaming ahead and yet we're now surprised and outraged when they fuck us off?

Aye, well. No surprise there.