Relegated by Christmas

@AlienFTM @xrayyankee @mercurydancer @rockape623 @CorpTax @any other mackems or mags

Pessimistic as ever, I've been perusing the fixtures and already I am struggling to see where the points are coming from.
We haven't played so badly, but the collapse at the Everton game was scary, woeful defending and pickford conceding three after his blooper at Southampton, also two home defeats.I don't understand Moyes team selection at all either, nor any of his substitutions either.
I pine for Big Sam, and basically think we are fcucked. What you reckon? Should I chill out, or am I correct about the alarm bells ringing?

I was at the match and I feel the same. Without Defoe we are doomed but at the moment it's a one man team and it doesn't bode well. And the barcodes in the village are having a ******* field day.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
@AlienFTM @xrayyankee @mercurydancer @rockape623 @CorpTax @any other mackems or mags

Pessimistic as ever, I've been perusing the fixtures and already I am struggling to see where the points are coming from.
We haven't played so badly, but the collapse at the Everton game was scary, woeful defending and pickford conceding three after his blooper at Southampton, also two home defeats.I don't understand Moyes team selection at all either, nor any of his substitutions either.
I pine for Big Sam, and basically think we are fcucked. What you reckon? Should I chill out, or am I correct about the alarm bells ringing?
Although I hate Fat Sam as a person, he did recognise the main failing element in the Sunderland team ie they were not fit. I recall Jermaine Defoe just wandering about the SoL least season under Advocaat. Fat Sam certainly sorted that out.

The Boro/Sunderland match - the first Boro goal was unstoppable, magnificent to see. I think it was a fair result. Boro did play better.

There is much to expect about Sunderland. I would like any manager to realise the potential of Duncan Watmore. Effectively he tries too much. I've seen him cross a ball to the forwards, then be back faster than the defenders for the counter attack. He should be calmed down and let his pace be effective at the sharp end.

Also, we have not seen much of Borini and his genius. He can turn a match on its head within seconds. There seems to be some disconnection between Patrick Van Aanholt and Borini. Missed crosses etc. Theres no animosity between the two, but Van Aanholt does appear to be doing more than his fair share of work. Possibly Moyes could lay off the single malts and have a look at this combination.

Last edited:
I was at the match and I feel the same. Without Defoe we are doomed but at the moment it's a one man team and it doesn't bode well. And the barcodes in the village are having a ******* field day.
Aye agreed, it hasn't taken them long to forget they are in the championship, what's the solution? Should there be crowd pressure on Ellis Short, or should Moyes be given longer than some of his predecessors,albeit at the risk of taking the drop?
Apologies for forgetting you in the @list.

I find at times like that alcohol should be taken...or even embraced as an old friend.

Although I hate Fat Sam as a person, he did recognise the main failing element in the Sunderland team ie they were not fit. I recall Jermaine Defoe just wandering about the SoL least season under Van Gaal. Fat Sam certainly sorted that out.

The Boro/Sunderland match - the first Boro goal was unstoppable, magnificent to see. I think it was a fair result. Boro did play better.

There is much to expect about Sunderland. I would like any manager to realise the potential of Duncan Watmore. Effectively he tries too much. I've seen him cross a ball to the forwards, then be back faster than the defenders for the counter attack. He should be calmed down and let his pace be effective at the sharp end.

Also, we have not seen much of Borini and his genius. He can turn a match on its head within seconds. There seems to be some disconnection between Patrick Van Aanholt and Borini. Missed crosses etc. Theres no animosity between the two, but Van Aanholt does appear to be doing more than his fair share of work. Possibly Moyes could lay off the single malts and have a look at this combination.
Granted we've a big injury list, but I reckon it's going to be at least December before Moyes knows his best Squad, we were getting outbid by championship teams, and Yedlin going to the barcodes and the carry on with M'vila was cringeworthy.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
No doubt Defoe is a great asset, but far away from a one man team. I have mentioned Watmore as a rising star. Borini can be magnificent given the right support.

No doubt Defoe is a great asset, but far away from a one man team. I have mentioned Watmore as a rising star. Borini can be magnificent given the right support.
I agree about Watmore, but I think he's lost a bit of his edge, I also think we may have a keeper crisis as well, Pickford could go low on confidence and not sure about this Portuguese keeper.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
M'Vila did play well with Sunderland, but yes it was cringeworthy.

I cannot blame Fat Sam for being England manager. Advocaat didnt really give a shit (OK I did post it in a previous post that is was Van Gaal but my mistake)

Its evens against Crystal Palace. I feel 2-1 to Sunderland.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
I agree about Watmore, but I think he's lost a bit of his edge, I also think we may have a keeper crisis as well, Pickford could go low on confidence and not sure about this Portuguese keeper.
Watmore knackers himself out within 15 minutes. He fights like anyone I have ever seen. Its exciting to see him get on the field as you always expect something is going to happen. He just needs a mentor or a good manager to get him to focus. No point in him wasting his energy and fitness to be in all of the pitch all of the time.

M'Vila did play well with Sunderland, but yes it was cringeworthy.

I cannot blame Fat Sam for being England manager. Advocaat didnt really give a shit (OK I did post it in a previous post that is was Van Gaal but my mistake)

Its evens against Crystal Palace. I feel 2-1 to Sunderland.
It's Pardew, Palace have got some decent players in and they have a bad habit of beating us at home, haha..I wish I shared your confidence, maybe I'll be more positive after a few sherbets cometh the day.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
It's Pardew, Palace have got some decent players in and they have a bad habit of beating us at home, haha..I wish I shared your confidence, maybe I'll be more positive after a few sherbets cometh the day.
Pardew often speaks higher than his own arse. Palace certainly have a decent team. Remy has something to prove. Benteke doesnt. It will be interesting inf Wickham is fit.

Pardew often speaks higher than his own arse. Palace certainly have a decent team. Remy has something to prove. Benteke doesnt. It will be interesting inf Wickham is fit.
Aye, they've got a lot of power and pace, winning second balls will be crucial. I imagine it will be a must win for us (already) as I can't see us getting anything at spurs

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Aye, they've got a lot of power and pace, winning second balls will be crucial. I imagine it will be a must win for us (already) as I can't see us getting anything at spurs
CP has three good strikers. Given the break from a missed head ball contest then they are strong.

Dont know if John O'Shea is fit but he should be considering getting out now. Tough certainly, but I have seen strikers dance round him. (He is a very nice man though.)

It must be a win though.

I think he does.

He needs to prove that's he's worth the money spent on him. He didn't prove that at his last club and was offloaded.

We definitely need a more experienced keeper who knows how to organise his back four, against Everton they just did not have a clue especially in the second half. Watmore and Borini are both decent but you must admit they have a tendency to disappear.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
I think he does.

He needs to prove that's he's worth the money spent on him. He didn't prove that at his last club and was offloaded.
Fair one. Lets see him against Sunderland. OK its not like him against Man U but hey if he makes a pigs arse of it, it wont go well.

CP has three good strikers. Given the break from a missed head ball contest then they are strong.

Dont know if John O'Shea is fit but he should be considering getting out now. Tough certainly, but I have seen strikers dance round him. (He is a very nice man though.)

It must be a win though.
Aye it'll be intresting to see what the squad is at spurs on Saturday.

We definitely need a more experienced keeper who knows how to organise his back four, against Everton they just did not have a clue especially in the second half. Watmore and Borini are both decent but you must admit they have a tendency to disappear.
Borini puts in a shift, but sometimes it just doesn't happen for him, the size of Sunderland football club and the passion of the supporters deserve better, Ellis Short needs to put more in or sell up, that's the only way I see us moving forward.I remember big Sam saying that the transfer kitty was less than half of what he wanted,prior to him taking up England position.

Latest Threads