Relationship age gap

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by syledis, Feb 9, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What would you say is the biggest acceptable age gap in a relationship , either older or younger, for a man in his mid 40,s to be having.

I mean not only acceptable for the relationship to survive , but socially as well, and no it isnt me, although i wish to hell it was.

Edited to add: I would be interested in some women replying to this
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Thirty to forty years.
    • Like Like x 7
  3. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

Don't restrict yourself too much there cuts :)
    • Like Like x 5
  4. I'm off to warm the popcorn up !!!!!
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Well I'm 43 and my missus turns 26 next week. Any problems we have are more related to work, money and the same things that everyone has to deal with. There is a different attitude between us and she sees me as old and sensible while she carries on being young and irresponsible but as they say, that's a feature not a bug. We've been together coming up to three years.

My previous partner of 10 years was 12 years older. We went our separate ways but age wasn't the reason.

I think people make too big a deal out of it.
    • Like Like x 10
  6. Depending on the female... anywhere from mid 20's.... anything younger and they rarely have life knowledge, and he starts to look like he's dating his daughter ... like i said though it depends on the maturity of the female

i was told recently that an ideal age should be half plus 8....

personally i think age is a number but there is a huge moral difference between a 35 yr old man with a 16yr old and a 40yr old and a 21yr old.....
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Cheers, edited accordingly.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Oh to answer the original question with numbers I'd sayL

Minimum 18 (although 20 would be much more sensible. Of course 16 would be legal but I think it would be daft in almost every case.)

Maximum doesn't matter.

Follow your heart.
  9. I heard your Silver anniversary is coming up soon, too.
  10. I have always said 15 years - I am 41, last year I dated a 21 year old and her mum was older than me by a month. They couldn't care less but I felt really awkward once I found out (that said, she was very intelligent and mature for her age).

There is also a question of sex - for women it is still seen as being slightly wrong to date a younger guy, despite a slight change in attitudes (see the recent TV series Cougartown). In work one lass was dating a guy about 10 years younger than herself and was on the recieving end of some good natured ribbing about it, cradle snatcher, etc. When I mentioned my above story (in defence of her) the lads were almost in awe of my achievement.

Double standards.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Come on you can do better than that.
  12. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Eight and a half ?

Is your name Gadd ?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. OK. You fucked a baby you fucking nonce.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

It's ok if they're arab kids.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. It's very true. When I turned up at the age of 28 with a woman of 40 people gave us all manner of strange looks. I actually am old enough to be my gf's father now so maybe that's why strangers don't pay attention a lot of the time but (to those who know) it's certainly seen as an achievement one way and an utter failure the other. In truth, the nature of the relationship hinges on things much more fundamental than numbers.
    • Like Like x 2