Relating corporate MBA questions to the Military

Iqbal Achieve

Old-Salt
With lots of good advice from this forum, I recently started an MBA with the OU- so far so good, I am enjoying the course and even managed a decent grade on my first assignment. However, the current section is based on Marketing. I have managed to hold my own in the (non-stop) forums by relating customers of the military as potential recruits, and secondary as health care patients- as I am RAMC. I have recently been given an assignment that asks for an analysis of very specific marketing evidence, such as servicescape (a new concept to me), customer feedback opportunity, and human encounters. I think I will approach the question using potential recruits as customers and gather evidence posed in the question.

My question is, where could I find such data-heavy information re recruitment? And am I approaching this question in the right manner? Any help from those with similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.
To add I did speak online to a recruitment advisor, but when they realised I had already committed the best part of 20 years; both knees, my back, my dignity, and a fair portion of my sanity he quickly lost interest.

Thanks!

Is this the Booms and Bitner Servicescape thing?

If it is start with the Wiki definition, stare at it and consider how it relates across to you. I would say that the RAMC does not simply have recruits as its customer base, you have the whole of the military, and in some locations even dependants. If you were to consider that broader spread of potential customers then you could easily include, or not, information in your report as you see fit.......not exactly fiddling the report just omitting bits that are not as relevant(everyone does it so don't feel guilty).

With marketing I always default back to the 4 P's, and add an S, write those down as heading and scribble under the heading what is relevant to the customer group/organisation I am looking at. It starts to put things in context for the report. 4 P's = Product, Price, Place, Promotion, and the S is for the Service to be offered in support of the product & product delivery.

Last edited:

Iqbal Achieve

Old-Salt
Yeah that's it, its a completely new concept to me. I have been reading up on, and it is fairly interesting. I'm sure I can find a way to relate it to the Army's 'customer' somehow.
I was originally considering recruits a base of research as they offer a good spread of data, such as demographic, generational preferences, interaction with IT etc. But, I may add some patient interaction in there too.
I think If make a good enough effort to relate the concepts to the Military I should be good.

The 4 P's is a great idea, and one that I did not consider, thank you.

Yeah that's it, its a completely new concept to me. I have been reading up on, and it is fairly interesting. I'm sure I can find a way to relate it to the Army's 'customer' somehow.
I was originally considering recruits a base of research as they offer a good spread of data, such as demographic, generational preferences, interaction with IT etc. But, I may add some patient interaction in there too.
I think If make a good enough effort to relate the concepts to the Military I should be good.

The 4 P's is a great idea, and one that I did not consider, thank you.

When I did my uni stuff and I needed to relate things to previous work (army) to try and put stuff in context I just treated my unit as a civvy business. Then I treated the entirety of the Forces, MoD, and associated civil servants as the potential civvy customer base.

The problem with MBA's and the military is that the military is a pretty rigidly structured entity. Civvy organisations can be more flexible in their approach regarding promotions, hiring in, suppliers, work flows. The trick is to try and be a bit more flexible, to the extent of perhaps writing what you would like to see happening rather than what is actually happening - as long as you can find references to back up your assertions, and opinions you will be golden.

When I moved onto my Masters I approached, and landed Barclays as my client, working directly with the Director of Marketing. My problem was that after the rigidity of the military system I had problems getting to grips with a more laissez faire and laid back approach to doing things.

One thing, which you probably know anyway from your degree, bang out a structure and some early scribbling and fire it over to the person doing the marking; just to check you are on the right track. You will find most are happy to give input and guidance as having students getting good marks looks good on them - when it comes to the end of year review if all their students have scraped through on 45% they are asked questions about their teaching ability.

Last edited:
I think Service recruiting is a great subject for marketing study as attracting mass recruits is essentially a marketing activity. The transformation of Army recruiting from what was basically a retail servicescape in the old AFCO days to a digital must offer plenty of source material. It’s all been about the marketing.

I think you need to be careful before contacting people for information; I would expect you to be limited to using secondary data only (ie that already published) rather than acquiring your own.

There’s plenty of secondary data out there on this. First port of call for data, the Quarterly Service Personnel Statistics.

There are also a number of Parliamentary reports on the RRP. Here’s one I found:

And this from Capita:

My advice; don’t over complicate the task.

Iqbal Achieve

Old-Salt
I think Service recruiting is a great subject for marketing study as attracting mass recruits is essentially a marketing activity. The transformation of Army recruiting from what was basically a retail servicescape in the old AFCO days to a digital must offer plenty of source material. It’s all been about the marketing.

I think you need to be careful before contacting people for information; I would expect you to be limited to using secondary data only (ie that already published) rather than acquiring your own.

There’s plenty of secondary data out there on this. First port of call for data, the Quarterly Service Personnel Statistics.

There are also a number of Parliamentary reports on the RRP. Here’s one I found:

And this from Capita:

My advice; don’t over complicate the task.
Thanks for the links! much appreciated. I've managed to use the 4 P's model as recommended, as a framework for the first part of an assignment.
To be honest, I'm finding the marketing section harder than I expected, it's difficult trying to relate abstract, customer-focused marketing concepts to the Army. I think you're definitely right to suggest to not overcomplicate, I have a habit of being sucked into a vortex of increasingly complicated journals and articles.

I have to keep reminding myself why I'm putting myself through this! o_O

Latest Threads