Discussion in 'Sappers' started by stu287, Dec 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thinking about rejoining after being out for 2 1/2 years, was an E&M draughtsman before does anyone know if I would be able to re-trade if joined back up? And also whether if I would have to re do any phase 1/2?

2. As far as I know, you may have a small chance to join back up as a draughty, but trying to re-trade you have no chance as the corps are nearly fully manned. Think even the draughty thing may be a stab in the dark.

However "Shy bairns get nae sweets"
  3. There's always space for MEC3S!!!
  4. Fitter RE, Res Spec & C3S are all pinch trades so you should be OK if you wanted to rejoin in one of those trades. The best option out of the 3 is Res Spec for getting back in as it is very undermanned.

As for having to redo phase 1 and/or 2 - the assistant RCMO who works next to me is back on Mon so if you haven't got an answer from anyone else I can give you an answer then
  5. A bit surprised really. Thought the army would be happy to get personnel back with plenty of experience. Went to the careers office after work tonight and they told me not to even bother till next year. I even used to hear about people getting financial rewards for re-joining! I suposei wll hve to wait and see.
  6. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Join TA and get your self mobilised on a tour - that should get you paid for a year, by which time the manning bulge may have been sorted and you can then try again for a full re-join. Alternatively as stated above if you retraded to Res Spec you could probably get back in now.
  7. Rejoins are limited to around 60 a year now so you might be better off waiting till April. If you are biffed or were a problem child don't expect to be successful.
  8. Im not surprised Res Spec is undermanned, its not really what people join the Army for is it.

"Today I was fighting the Taliban what did you do?"

"I counted the ammo you returned in bags and put it on clips for the RLC"

Doesnt really match your expectations does it?

I know I never joined to be a Res Spec but I do enjoy my job as I feel I've had my time as a young daft lad jumping out of 432's and bridging untill I dropped, the young lads that join need life experience before going down what can be a very tedious job route.

And remember the Sqn only remembers the sect cmdr who won sect comps which was 3 days graft out of the last 4 months, whereas a Res Spec wont have stopped during those 4 months.

I know I'm a grumpy old sod, I just think this whole Res Spec straight from training is a bit of a knee jerk to no one wanting to do G4 as it's not war fighting which is what young lads are joining up for.

I know I'll get flak for this but Im a Res Spec and I've seen a lot of class 3's apply to retrade (christ the young lad at my last place is looking to rebadge to Arty FFS) it should have been left alone and not messed about with as it worked well for so long, but hey ho you know the saying "If it aint broke lets bugger about with it untill it is!"
  9. u forgot g4 wins wars