Rejoining with conviction

Lads, I've fucked it.

I left the army in November, got a new job and i was happy.
Last night I was pulled over and blew over the limit. I've been charged and I'm due for trial in april, there's not a chance im going to keep my licence.
When I tell my work on Monday they will fire me on the spot because the majority of my job is driving and I need a clean licence for their insurance.
In an absolute flap this morning I've sent off an application to rejoin before I'm out the job and likely end up homeless.
Will the army take me back with me being a ******* ******** drink driver?
My discharge was as of right, given the appropriate notice.

A few question for you. How long had you served? What was your role / trade? Did you role involve driving? What was your disciplinary record while serving?

A few question for you. How long had you served? What was your role / trade? Did you role involve driving? What was your disciplinary record while serving?
6 years, Artillery, I was an SV driver but it wasn't so much much role specific and my disciplinary record was clean

Well, you might have a chance but do be 100% open and honest about the circumstances. I’m not sure I would be optimistic, but you never know.

6 years, Artillery, I was an SV driver but it wasn't so much much role specific and my disciplinary record was clean
If you're not going to keep your licence you may have to explore other options.

Why are you rejoining and what will you do when your licence is returned, cleared?

They're two questions you may want to think about.

Do you mean other options as in other roles or other jobs outside of the army?
I'm trying to rejoin because I'm scared. I'm going to lose my job and the only think I know besides that is soldiering. If I get in again I'll stay in because the only employable skill I have is driving and even after the ban most companies won't take me on with a dui on record. I've proper fucked myself over here.

Do you mean other options as in other roles or other jobs outside of the army?
I'm trying to rejoin because I'm scared. I'm going to lose my job and the only think I know besides that is soldiering. If I get in again I'll stay in because the only employable skill I have is driving and even after the ban most companies won't take me on with a dui on record. I've proper fucked myself over here.
You do have other skills and attributes that employers want. There are plenty of jobs out there that don't require experience. Get on indeed and have a look.

If you've done 6 years you should at least be resourceful, resilient, confident, respectful, quick to learn, able to manage small teams, work unsupervised, punctual, work as part of a team, able to plan and deliver projects, time management and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

You never know, your perfect job might be where you least expect it. Things are rarely as bad as you expect them to be, it will be tough but doesn't mean the end of the world. My dad was a wagon driver all his life and knew nothing else, he lost his licence in his late 50's due to medical problems and he got a completely different job which he remained in until he died.

Don't flap and don't sit on your arse waiting. Get a CV made up and get around the local industrial estates and hand it in, don't wait for a job to be advertised.

Good luck.

You don't lose your right to drive until the date of your conviction at trial. Presumably you can continue to drive for your work up until then?

Last edited:

ugly

LE
You don't lose your right to drive until the date of your conviction at trial. Presumably you can continue to drive for your work up until then?
Unfortunately a lot of employers will have a bringing the company into disrepute clause which usually includes arrest for DUI.
We used a similar clause to clear out loads of wasters in an agency I was working at once.

Thanks for all the replies gents.
Ive had chance to wrap my head around it and plan out my options.
Ive fired off a tonne of applications and will wait and see what sticks.
If nothing does I'm going to give my old RCMO a bell and see if they'll have me back given ive only been out a few months.
Cheers lads