Rejoining the TA

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Roger_The_Cat, Apr 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Quick question. I'm 42. Left the TA in 1993 when I got married. I was a L/Cpl Class One (Control Signaller) & Signals Instructor with a Yeomanry Regt in the West Midlands. My civvie job is Project Management in IT so I have other skills too.

Still married but thinking of rejoining. I see that you can join (non-commissioned) up to the age of 43. I'm not bothered about rank (the one I had wasn't much of one anyway) but I really don't want to rejoin if I have to do a recruit cadre again. I don't think I could take being treated like an idiot or beasted by some spotty Cpl with small penis syndrome that thinks he's the Full Metal Jacket Drill Sgt.

All I want to do is soldier again and do a decent job

I was thinking about maybe joining a Sponsored unit (if they still exist). Any ideas if I'd have to do the cadre again please?

Thanks very much
  2. Good attitude. Have you ever thought that the "spotty Cpl" is there because he knows what he's doing?

As with all these sorts of questions, you won't get a decent responce off some blokes on tinterweb. Go to your local units and ask.
  3. Thanks, both, for the advice. Probably the best advice is go and ask. I work with some lads that are now in my old unit. I'll put out some feelers.

My attitude's fine, I suppose I just hated the initial recruit stuff before. It was bad enough at 18, let alone facing the idea again at my age!
  4. Basic Training should bring back some of the fondest memories of anyones military career, whether TA or Reg. I personally have some cracking memories of my Phase 1 Trg (Reg).

You'll have to do it again, how much do you think has changed since you left in '93'? Get stuck in and get yourself up to speed, deploy and then swing the lantern with the rest.
  5. Glad you enjoyed it. Regular Training always did appear to be good.

Problem I found with TA training (I did mine with Royal Anglians at Bassingbourne in 1984) is that you tend to do it with a whole crowd of people that you don't know and don't get time to know in 2 weeks. Then you never see them again.

I not soft but I found it quite isolating and lonely. Having said that if you stuck it out being a TA soldier in the 80's & 90's was great once you joined your unit as a trained soldier.
  6. That was just the same with me back in 1987.
    Looking at my cadre photo I was the only one from my regiment! Needless to say I never saw any of them ever again.

I think as a "grown up" it could be difficult to be particularly awed by the bullshit and beastings. This in turn might be seen as silent insubordination....

:hangs photo back on wall:
  7. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Weapon systems have changed, sigs kit has changed and procedures have changed (albeit not much) and the TA is much more dedicated towards supporting current ops than it was in '84 or '93.

Yes, you will have to go back and do basic again - all of it. And that Cpl with the small penis may well have been there, done it and have the medals to prove that he is in the position to teach you what you need to know.

Accept it or don't bother joining.
  8. Thanks. I think that was exactly what I was trying to say but was unable to so ended up slagging off Cpls as little Hitlers that think they have something to prove. I know they aren't all like that but I could do without the "crap". I don't need to be motivated and broken down and rebuilt - just loose a few pounds and refamiliarise myself with a BATCO wallet, or whatever we have these days and slot back in with a bit of self motivated discipline.

I've no problem with being taught, TA Cpls these days probably have a lot of experience and have proved it, it's the patronising, belittling unnecessary rubbish I want to avoid.

Don't want to turn this into a whinge fest. I loved the TA before.

Thanks all for the advice. Will see what response I get.
  9. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

And that post answers your question in spades - go back and learn.