Rejoining the TA and phase 1 training

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by mac456, Oct 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was in the TA for nearly three years in a unit regarded as having a high level of soldiering/infantry/field skills and left two and a half years ago as I underwent a career change and needed to focus solely on that to ensure it was a success.

As I am now successfully established in my new career I want to rejoin the TA. I live in London and am interested in joining one of the Signals Units.

What I want to know is if I rejoin do I have to undergo Phase I ie basic, training all over again. Or is it possible to go on a MATTs weekend with the unit and if I pass them I'm in the unit and if I fail I get put on the recruit course?

Please don't say "phone your local TA unit" as, has been shown on previous threads on age of joining, different units say different things and what I want is something so that if they do say the wrong thing I can then say "perhaps if you looked at MOD Directive XXYYY". Any useful information would be gratefully received.

The thought of having to spend six months doing 6 or 7 weekends and a two week course just to do basic traing, when I can already pass all of the six MATTS tests straight off is mind numbing as well as being a waste of MOD time and money.

2. My my, been out 2 1/2 years and could pass all MATTs straight off! Does the Royal Corps have berets to fit this size of head! Have you stopped and considered that things change and progress and that you might fit in better in your new unit if you cut the mustard with them rather than relying on historical past glories.....

3. You can rejoin within three years of being discharged without having to redo basic training.

Although FLAPPB has something of a point. What's taught in basic is radically different now to two and a half years ago. It's all personal tac nukes and battle robots these days. But you'll pick it up.

4. Several people have rejoined our unit and had no problem with just doing some catch up training with the unit. Concidering they don't teach things such as gas stoppages at RT these days they're in a better position having had some slightly older training.

5. You can rejoin within three years of being discharged without having to redo basic training.

its now six years but you will be assesed on your matts and if you fail them you can be recomended for basic training

6. Will someone please tell me how I get around to sorting this problem out myself. I passed the old style CMSR in 2006 with an excellent report but for reasons of timing and pursuing the PO course (since stopped due to massive time commitment) did not complete the old style week long Part 3 course thereafter. The TA then bought in this 7 weekend/2 weeks training scheme to produce trained soldiers. I am still a member and have not left my unit, but I have now been told I will have to complete the whole new training process again. I reluctantly went on the first weekend of this new course where I had a word and they bumped me onto weekend 7 (test weekend) I passed all the tests no bother. I am now however still faced with the prospect of another two week course. In the meantime I have passed a GPMG cadre and all my MATTS for the year, but am still not "a trained soldier" in some peoples eyes. I find this whole situation bemusing and am getting really sick of all the "box ticking" and "paper trail" excuses. Please help. Nobody seems to have the answers. Do I have to leave and then re-join?

7. leaving and rejoining wont help you Im afraid.
    You may be able to get some dispensation for what you have achieved, but I would think that would depend on how much of MOD 2 and/or 3 of PO training you completed.
    Confused me a bit as you talk about GPMG cadre and the 7 w/e system. I assume that you are not Inf. The old "Gap training" basicaly covered Matts subjects so if you have passed them (depends on the level you passed at) you may have a case. You will have to get someone to MAP the TOs of Gap training against that which you have achieved in MATT and PO trg and then see if you can get a tick in the box.

8. leaving and rejoining wont help you Im afraid.
    You may be able to get some dispensation for what you have achieved, but I would think that would depend on how much of MOD 2 and/or 3 of PO training you completed.
    Confused me a bit as you talk about GPMG cadre and the 7 w/e system. I assume that you are not Inf. The old "Gap training" basicaly covered Matts subjects so if you have passed them (depends on the level you passed at) you may have a case. You will have to get someone to MAP the TOs of Gap training against that which you have achieved in MATT and PO trg and then see if you can get a tick in the box.

9. I know actually what he was on about , I was out 9 years, nothing much changes in the army mostly skill fade , with a small amount of revision you can easily pass MATTS, this is not the sort of revision you get on phase 1

10. Gents,

Being a spotter with an anorak TA Regs answers the question!

Quote:

CLASSIFICATION OF SOLDIERS WITH PREVIOUS MILITARY SERVICE (see also para 2.013).

5.053. A commanding officer may classify a soldier of the TA with previous military service without a test if he has had either 6 months or more reckonable man's service in the Regular Army or regular land forces of a Commonwealth country, or former service in the TA or authorized auxiliary forces of a Commonwealth country of 12 months or more, and passed a recruit's course, provided that:

a. He enlists or re-enlists within 24 months, or in the case of a solider who was classified in a supervisory appointment, i.e. a NCO or instructor, within 36 months, of his discharge from former service. This time limit may be extended in exceptional circumstances at the discretion of the Div/Dist HQ or the TA CVHQ. (See also para 5.123.)

11. I've managed to rejoin after a period of just under 2 years away. However, getting me back on to the system is proving problematic in these JPA "computer says no" days. I've lost my old 2510 number, and been issued a new shiny 3003 one, which seems to fly in the face of the received wisdom that once you get an army number, you're stuck with it until the grave or commissioning (insert standard witticism here)

Also, there doesn't appear to be any easy way of transferring across all my previous records, cses etc.

While sympathetic, the NRPS don't seem to have any clear idea how to solve the problem, although I am assured telephone calls are being made on a daily basis to sort it all out (yeah, right...)

At least I am back in my previous squadron and parading at my former rank, even if that is local pro tem. No-one has suggested - yet - that I have to re-do phase 1, although as far as "the system" is concerned, I'm a complete new-boy who hasn't done anything yet.

12. Thanks. I'm a Pioneer not Infantry, but we ran a GPMG cadre for some reason whicj i was invited on. I'm off to see the Infantry squadron up the road tonight to see if i can transfer and square the job away.

13. Cheers for that one. I'm looking to go TA after 12 years Regular service and being out for 12 months. My question answered. Ta.

14. No offence to pioneers, but they may make you retrain if the guys i met during my service were anything to go by.

15. I did 9 years in the regs (R.Signals) leaving in 1997. Decided to join Ta about 2 years ago (sigs again), i didn't expect to get my old rank back as it had been so long, but i also didn't think I would have to do all the trg again. So I spent probably 8 months trying to get through the training weekends, as I couldn't always make the dates. I also had to attend ATR. Although luckily for me I did mine at Donnington within the brigade. The ATR overall I really enjoyed apart from a few lessons i.e basic drill, phonetic alphabet and all that crap. The Weapon handling was a good refresher as drills have changed a lot, and NBC is now CBRN etc etc, I got treated quite well by the staff (same age as most of them and older than a couple), and I was able to help the younger guys. I really enjoyed the field phase, even though I was p##s wet through for most of it. It made me realise why I wanted to re-join. :D

I suppose my point is if you really want to re-join you should expect a few hurdles and goal post movements, will get you ready for being back in the regiment. And yes 3 years later I'm still a siggy although I think the board has sat so you never know.

Mappy765 2510 isn't an old number sprog, and I not only got my old number back, I also got my old photo, and I'm still gorgeous.