Rejoining the TA after 12 years out

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Simmo2476, Mar 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. All, I'm reupping after 12 years out. I'm cool with the phys I'm out running with weight and all that. I was a corporal in the infantry when I left and had done PSBC. Issue is they're telling me I need to do selection again as well as phase 1&2. At this rate it will be a year before I join a platoon! Frankly this is crap, I know how to put a basha up, I can still teach the cam and concealment lesson I just need to refresh on the new version of the rifle and keep going on the fitness. Anyone know any way of getting straight to phase 2 or at least circumventing the process? Cheers and don't forget to buy the troops a beer! :D
  2. Good for you sunshine. I hope for your and your oppos sake that all your skills are up to speed, and that no-one has learnt anything from the couple of small conflicts that have happened in the past 12 years and that none of the equipment has changed (L85A2 and Bowman spring instantly to mind).

I've only been out 4 years and wouldn't feel confident going straight back in. Do Phase 1, think of it as a refresher and work on remembering the basics. Who knows, you may even learn something new.

And don't make life too hard on your DS.
  3. Thanks for the input. So you're suggesting that it's a good use of valuable resources to run the same course for guys who know one end of a rifle from the other alongside fresh brand news blokes?

My point is there must be a better way of doing this and learning all of the valuable lessons you allude to surely?

Taking a year to get through the process doen't help my unit at all. I'm fortunate I could potentially could do the 2 week course for phase 1 as my work will give me the time off but there is more than me in this position in my gang.

And FYI the PSAO & OC agree but are helpless to change anything, this just doesn't seem right.
  4. If going on the course means that you get your SOPs correct, that you remember how to do your NSPs and all those other little things that the Army's learnt over the past 12 years, then IMHO it's time well spent. If you work with the DS, and help the others on the course to become better soldiers, then even better.
  5. Fair point, don't get me wrong I know what you're saying but isn't that mainly phase 2 stuff? Also does anyone know if the option is there to double up the on the weekends? i.e. do 2 weekends per month?
  6. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

We had a similar case in my Company recently. All he had to do with us was the two week phase 1 which was considered enough of a refresher/updater. He was (and is again) a Rfn, so don't know it would work with you as a Cpl.
  7. RP, that's sounds good to me, I'm happy to start again I'm not expecting to gain any rank back, alot has changed in the last 12 years so I'm happy to earn my spurs, I'd just like to be of some use to the unit sooner rather than later. Any idea's who sorted it for him? Was it someone in the Company or outside the unit? Cheers.
  8. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

It was handled at company level. I wouldn't be surprised if shortly after redoing your Phase 1, you are handed a stripe back as I don't know of an Inf unit that isn't in dire need of good JNCOs. The thing to bear in mind is, that you're still an unknown quantity to them and there will probably be a little bit of proving yourself again.
  9. from personal experience (2 years out), i know it is hard, but head down, arse up.

good luck.

10. RP noted. Thanks for the advice, hopefully will get the paperwork sorted in the next couple of weeks and selection mid april. Looking forward to it although strangly a little nervous, funny innit.
  11. H thanks mate, gonna be harder being an old git now but as you say head down arse up. Cheers fella.