Rejoining the T.A.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Biped, May 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Hi chaps.

As a few of you are aware, I'm looking to rejoin the T.A. after a 15 year absence.

Used to be 5 Queens, and am now going to join B Coy, 3 PWRR.

When I was last in, the basic was effectively 2 weeks in Bassingbourne. This time around, I'm told it's 9 weekends, followed by 2 weeks in camp before you are considered 'done'.

What's the deal? Are there a bunch of new skills that weren't around all that time ago, or is the training for more comprehensive and better now?

Referring to another thread: Am I going to have to jump in puddles? I hate puddles! :D

Secondly: Sniping; still on the books, or has the T.A. lost that role?
  2. msr

msr LE

Pop down to your local unit and ask!

I think the sniper role went with SDR.

3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Thanks bud.

SDR? :oops:
  4. msr

msr LE

5. Thats cos you have to get rid of all those pies... :D
  6. Biped, check your PMs.
  7. This link (that was in the Google ads at the bottom of the page) may prove useful.

Rejoining after 15 years......

Different rifle, different cleaning kit, different uniform, different boots, different vehicles, different rules for driving vehicles, different food, different tactics, different emphasis, different organisation, different commitment, different respirator, different cannister, different First Aid, different enemy, different friends, different training areas, different....
  8. msr

msr LE

9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Nice touch that MSR - If I'd not seen that at the end of the FAQ, I'd never have believed it!! :D
  10. First post so be gentle ;)

Rejoining my old Yeomanry unit after 8 years in the wilderness so dont feel quit so bad now seeing as Biped has almost double the gap.

40 next month, so will be interesting to see how this old body copes when up against people 20 years younger than me.

Any ( serious ) tips from those who've gone through this would be much appreciated.