Rejoining the ranks?

Currently I am in my second year of probation as a 2Lt. I commissioned to do more for my cadets at Det and Coy level, oh how wrong was I.

Since commissioning I hardly teach and haven't enjoyed cadets remotely. Recently I took over a Det and have been exposed to more bulls%#t than ever and it seems that the more I get involved in the admin/managing side of my County the more I hate the organisation.

Can I resign my commission and rejoin the ranks as a Si and get back to doing what I joined the ACF for?

Let the abuse begin......

Currently I am in my second year of probation as a 2Lt. I commissioned to do more for my cadets at Det and Coy level, oh how wrong was I.

Since commissioning I hardly teach and haven't enjoyed any cadets. Recently I took over a Det and have been exposed to more bulls%#t than ever and it seems that the more I get involved in the admin/managing side of my County the more I hate the organisation.

Can I resign my commission and rejoin the ranks as a Si and get back to doing what I joined the ACF for?

Fixed it for you.

Oh dear. Really?

It would probably help your cause if you were slightly more descriptive regarding your dilemma. Backup? Assistance? Chain of Command?

Or did she swear that she was 18?

Ok so I previously worked as an instructor at a lDet with very a experienced team of instructors. Our Coy commander at the time was ******* useless I mean this guy couldn't hit the floor if he fell over.

I enjoyed the teaching aspect however we struggled at the Det with training the Coy level training was/is repeated year in year out and boring. I thought I know I will change that boring training that we are doing at Coy level by commissioning.

I thought I could organise Det weekends or days out events etc as and officer.

Well before going up I got on with the old OC well even tho he was a **** knuckle and the current Trg Officer well too. But since going up the Trg Officer is the biggest ****** going and seems to go out of his way to make life difficult for me. Before you ask he doesn't know my views on his Trg etc.

Our old OC has left post and with a new OC I have moved to take on my own Det which seems to have made life worse.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Ok so I previously worked as an instructor at a lDet with very a experienced team of instructors. Our Coy commander at the time was ******* useless I mean this guy couldn't hit the floor if he fell over.

I enjoyed the teaching aspect however we struggled at the Det with training the Coy level training was/is repeated year in year out and boring. I thought I know I will change that boring training that we are doing at Coy level by commissioning.

Well before going up I got on with the old OC well even tho he was a **** knuckle and the current Trg Officer well too. But since going up the Trg Officer is the biggest ****** going and seems to go out of his way to make life difficult for me. Before you ask he doesn't know my views on his Trg etc.

Our old OC has left post and with a new OC I have moved to take on my own Det which seems to have made life worse.
Is there anyone you can ask for advice?

Apart from your appalling grammar, I believe you. Your best bet would be to speak to some of the old "It ain't what it used to be" CI's and try to find someone from the Old School who can help. There are several posters on here who will, when they wake up from their "THAT Rifle, Where are the Nurses?" Sunday Night stupor, be more than willing to help you with advice.

Brownie points (No pun intended) for having the patience to work with children, personally, I hate the little feckers, but I'm sure you are Very Aware that the time you spend with them will have a huge developmental impact on the rest of their lives.

Good luck, Don't give up yet chap, what you do is extremely important.

Thanks, I'm sure I will get plenty of help on all my short comings by the grammar police in the morning and might be able to get some help with the original post too.

Thanks again.

Were you a SNCO DC before commissioning?

The ACF guidance is that a DC be SSI or Lt. Too many counties take newly commissioned Officers and give them Coy roles proper to Captains. Bad idea as these Officers don't know the pressures on DCs and often end up becoming another burden to them

I think if you now run a det, and don't get to do any training at all you aren't planning your time effectively. You will get used to the County bullshit paperwork and e-mails, and you will soon learn who can be ignored and file 13-ed and who must be given the attention they think they deserve. Fail to do it and you let down your cadets.

I give up an extra day up to once a month to do the paperwork and e-mails. Now that we will shortly be online and wi-fi'd up I should be able to do this a bit quicker and better and spend more time instructing cadets.

Realistically, I have to say: Man the fuck up! It's only cadets FFS!

Admin is not a village in Vietnam.

Serve to lead.

You are lucky to be commissioned at all and be a DC, which despite its irritations is still the best job you can ever do in the ACF. I will have to cross over to another county or wait for all of the snobs to die before I'll be getting a pip up.

Last edited:
If it's any consolation, I found the same with the Australian army. In the ranks it was a carefree bullshit free life. Several people warned me what would happen if I took a commission. I didn't listen.

The bad news is it just gets worse as you get promoted up the chain.

Last edited:
OP, you're a new 2Lt (I think), do the best for your det. MAKE the time for instruction.

Listen and learn, like an OP in the boonies. And as your experience grows you will strike down the mongs and take their place in Coy/Bn HQ as Trg Offr orCommander.

There will be lots you don't know about planning concentrations, once you do know then you can plan.

2/51

LE
With the lack of adult instructors, be they commissioned or NCO's, I don't think you are in a unique position unfortunately.

Hence why I'm wanting to resign my commision buddy, I'm finding this the more I get involved in the world of bullshit that is the officers mess

QRK2

LE
2/51,

No I'm not sadly, but do you know if I can resign my commision and revert back to being an NCO?
There is nothing to stop you resigning your commission. However re-joining as an 'NCO' would be at the discretion of your chain of command and it's up to you to judge if they will allow that.

If you really are that browned off with your 'officer' job you may be best off looking to another of the cadet organisations (ATC, SCC or even a local CCF) for a fresh start.

Talon

Old-Salt
I don't think the problem is necessarily the commission, but the role of detachment commander. It is a difficult job however does have its perks. For instance, you can choose what to do at the det. You can teach every week or get someone else to do it. If you aren't teaching enough, perhaps nominate someone as the 2IC and give them some of your admin duties which would allow you get on with other things. I assume you have been in a few years, if so your coy staff will be look to you to be running training and running detachments, regardless of whether you hold a commission or not.

Of course, you could always try a transfer to another coy or county.

Latest Threads